News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Firewalls on different Operating Systems

Started by Babybearjs, February 08, 2019, 01:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

just a quick question... My DSL Modem has a firewall on by default. I also have Trend-Micro AV that has a firewall on it. if both are activated, will it cause downloads to be slow or not respond? will it cause any and all traffic to be effected? Just wanted to ask as I think multiple firewalls are effecting my systems ability to access data at a fast rate.
John

robert_m

Depends on the specific rules implemented. Additionally the more rules the slower, double firewalling generally is not necessary but all depends.  Many SOHO routes firewall are substandard, and not configured correctly when using default rules,  MTU values are also a problem.

I would suggest 1. stopping both firewalls then see if your downloads improve, if they do then you need to start looking at the rules and how many of them, firewalls work in statefull connection in a sequential matter, so if you have 50 rules and for example allow from internal to port 80 is below the other 49 rules, every request untill the connection established will be slower as the firewall rules are process generally in order, this true not next rule this true, etc........

A properlly configured firewall should generally not impact overall a performance problem, but like anything else key is how configured and how many rules exist.

My day job is internet / server security.   My Hobby (on of them are Payphones)

Babybearjs

Thanks Robert. that helps. I'm using Trend-Micro AV software and my DSL Modem. I disabled the firewall on the modem for the time being, I am testing the system now to see if it helps. my main problem has just been with the TCI Library. it starts to download a pdf file and if the file is larger then 1GB it stalls. I've been trying to figure out why... so I took a look at my firewalls and discovered that Both Windows 10 and the modem had firewall settings. which one would you disable? I'm going to have to read up on this, as I don't understand whats causing the slowdown..
John

robert_m

Windows firewall first.......no help then turn back on turn other off......see if that helps is where i would start.  You could also being haveing a bandwidth problem...

Babybearjs

John

Babybearjs

:D found an interesting problem, I opened internet explorer and accessed the TCI library. downloaded the large file that has been giving me problems and found it worked fine. was able to D/L and save the file with no problem. tried it again with Microsoft Edge and ran into the problem with expected results... tried to open the file and it worked fine. was able to open the file and then save it... it looks like Microsoft Edge is where the problem lies, not my firewall. I have heard from multiple people that they hate windows 10, and this is one of the reasons... so frustrating!
John

HarrySmith

I noticed problems on my laptop using Edge also. I have switched back to using IE and no more problems.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

I also use Firefox as a default also. it navigates real close to IE and is easy to setup with favorites.
John