News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New Amp 25 Pair Connector Butterfly Tool

Started by Babybearjs, March 13, 2018, 10:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I was browsing Ebay for the 25 pair crimping tool and came across listing #112861044799. its the Amp MI-1 bench Crimper for a whopping 8.99! so I grabbed it. for some reason Ebay gave me "Free Shipping" when the item listed a $31.00 fee.... The seller wrote me and said on his end, it showed local pick up.... Thank you Ebay....(Oh brother!) anyway, he has about 4 of these left and they are going fast....  so, do you think its worth it??

P.S. The sellers handle is: "Keate"
John

AE_Collector

Are you certain the seller isn't expecting you to pick it up? If it has to be shipped I d9nt think eBay is going to have to pay, the seller is!

Remember that Amp plugs are Amp Champ plugs and all that I saw were plastic. Not that plastic is a problem but the tool will work with Amp Champ plugs, not Amphenol plugs which are typically metal. We used Amphenol on solid conductor cable and output dhops seemed to use Amp to put plugs into stranded cable such as set cords on key sets.

Terry

rdelius

Not a bad deal I payed $100.00 (pre ebay) for my first butterfly tool. I later found a not so used example on Ebay for a cheaper price.You can reuse the plastic connectors. I salvaged many and recrimped them.The tool was about $600 new,Combs migjt have been extra

Babybearjs

the original Paypal transaction was flawed as it did not charge for shipping... yet there was a shipping charge... the seller cancelled my first order and then I reordered the item and the shipping was only $18.00... so, not a bad investment.... providing the item is in usable condition and nothings broken..... this is my first amp tool.... so now, its all about learning.... 
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 14, 2018, 12:53:47 AM
the original Paypal transaction was flawed as it did not charge for shipping... yet there was a shipping charge... the seller cancelled my first order and then I reordered the item and the shipping was only $18.00... so, not a bad investment.... providing the item is in usable condition and nothings broken..... this is my first amp tool.... so now, its all about learning.... 
You got a great deal.
$75.00 delivered would be a nice price.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: rdelius on March 13, 2018, 10:46:33 PM
Not a bad deal I payed $100.00 (pre ebay) for my first butterfly tool. I later found a not so used example on Ebay for a cheaper price.You can reuse the plastic connectors. I salvaged many and recrimped them.The tool was about $600 new,Combs migjt have been extra

Around here we referred to the larger Amphenol tools as butterfly tools. They had a handle sticking out each side that you swung in towards each other to cut the wires and terminate all at once. Was mounted in a gray plastic tool box and the tool itself was horizontal in front of you not vertical. Would this be what you mean by a butterfly tool or is the Amp tool discussed here also known as a butterfly tool?

Terry

rdelius

I refer to the large tool with handles as a butterfly tool not the small tool

Babybearjs

:)well... it finally got one... now, will I use it???
John

Key2871

Well, if you're going to work with the amp ends for your system, it's a sure bet! I have one as well, works great, couldn't do with out it. Just make sure you lay out the leads in the right spot and your golden. Nice find, those aren't around a lot anymore. If you need male or female ends, let me know, I have plenty.
KEN

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

What is it?

Make and/or model along with a brief description of what it does or how it is used will be helpful to most members.

Butch Harlow

Hilarious...I just got one as well. Dunno if I will ever use it, but having it increases those odds, doesn't it? Here is the Ebay link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMP-MI-1-Butterfly-Crimp-Tool-Without-Case/112861044799

?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you youtube Amp Mi-1 you'll get a short video with terrible music showing it in use.

It seemed to be a crazy deal, and one day I want to set up a 1A2 setup. I figured I would get it while I could. Instructions and manuals are also available online.

It's a "butterfly" crimper for 25 pair amphenol connectors.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Wow, those have come WAY down in price. I got my butterfly tool off eBay 20 years ago, with case for $150. It was the cheapest there was. So if you guys got one for even near the $9 price range, you did well.
KEN

Babybearjs

what? the moderator doesn't even know about telephone tools???
John

Dan F

Got mine the other day. $47, looks like new, with case and instructions.

Babybearjs

now when threading these things, does the white wire go to pin 1, or the blue?
John