News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Dead Street PayPhone

Started by Fabius, August 03, 2017, 08:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

This one is located in Michigan City, Indiana. Notice where the NIJ (network interface jack) is mounted. Also the boothete is marked PTC. Public Telephone Company?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Interesting photos, Tom.  I rarely see a payphone that's wired from a drop wire rather than buried conduit and don't recall ever seeing one with the NID up on the aerial conduit.  Looks like the site is slated for redevelopment.

TelePlay

Pourme

A little research and a phone call or two and I think someone may be able to rescue that pay station...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Fabius

Quote from: Pourme on August 04, 2017, 02:15:07 PM
A little research and a phone call or two and I think someone may be able to rescue that pay station...

It appears that Public Telephone Company is still in business though no longer in the pay phone business. I'll give the a call or email asking if I can recover and keep their old payphones and boothette.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Fabius on August 05, 2017, 12:12:32 AM
It appears that Public Telephone Company is still in business though no longer in the pay phone business. I'll give the a call or email asking if I can recover and keep their old payphones and boothette.

Is it really that easy? Assuming they agree of course. There are several nice (well, could be) NY-Tel
payphones in boothettes with signage around (including "phone from car"). I'd love to grab one before they completely go extinct.  The added plus is, like your photos, it would be known where it was located, keeping some of the history with the phone.       
TWinbrook7

Fabius

Quote from: AL_as_needed on August 05, 2017, 09:49:12 AM
Is it really that easy? Assuming they agree of course.       

Maybe. Worst they could say is no. I'll make sure I get some type of documentation saying I could take. it. Of course the hard part would be the removal.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on August 05, 2017, 12:35:46 PM
Maybe. Worst they could say is no. I'll make sure I get some type of documentation saying I could take. it. Of course the hard part would be the removal.
If they agree perhaps you can get them to give you the keys or at least unlock it.

Fabius

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 05, 2017, 01:46:22 PM
If they agree perhaps you can get them to give you the keys or at least unlock it.

I bet the keys are long gone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on August 05, 2017, 10:04:38 PM

Yeah, but without keys, you still have two great universal removal tools to choose from.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on August 05, 2017, 10:04:38 PM
Quoting some guy named Fabius: "Worst they could say is no".   ;D

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on August 05, 2017, 11:17:06 PM
Yeah, but without keys, you still have two great universal removal tools to choose from.
There are less brutal solutions.

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on August 05, 2017, 11:21:16 PM
There are less brutal solutions.

I would hope and think so.

One of the criminal groups in the inner city here was using a battery powered Sawzall to cut catalytic converters off of vehicles in the middle of the night. Darn near jumped through my Ford E-150 V8 windshield one morning when upon starting the truck with the driver door open, I quickly found out I had a straight pipe on the left side, they cut the end of the header off. Cop said they got 20 some brand new Cadillacs on a new car dealer lot about 2 blocks away. I had to drive it 30 miles in the city before it went into the shop. I guess for removing those, a Sawzall would be the tool of choice over an acetylene torch.

Back to the keys, I'd bet they still have them handing on a wall or in a cabinet somewhere in their building.

mentalstampede

If they let you have it, you can remove the pedestal with phone and enclosure still mounted, and attack the locks at your leisure later. You'll need a screwdriver with a security but, but It's just plain old hardware under the cover at the base of the pedestal.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

AL_as_needed

Fabius; If it works out (or not), please keep us posted on your steps taken. I have been teasing the idea of getting a payphone for some time, but if i can get a NYTele complete and with cards caught in the wild, that's a huge bonus in my book. This is something I would love to take a crack at if it shows even a little promise.
TWinbrook7