News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Mahogany Brown 500!

Started by JimH, July 29, 2009, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

When I saw this on Ebay, my hand was shaking to push the "buy it now" button fast enough.  The straight cords look in great shape.  I've contacted the seller about packaging for shipping....was assured it will arrive safely, but you never know!

http://tinyurl.com/ktyvgk ( dead link 08-04-21 )

Jim H.

bwanna

donna

mienaichizu

I hope that it would arrive safely

jsowers

Wow, Jim! You found a terrific bargain there. I love the part about the shaking hand. You described the moment well.

I once found a dark gray 500 that was Buy it Now, but for $250, as I recall. It hadn't been listed that way to begin with, so all I can figure is someone got to the seller and had them change the listing, but didn't get their bid in yet. It was early in the morning. I emailed a collector buddy in California who was wanting that phone and he happened to be reading his email at that moment and he bought the phone!

Be sure to post some pictures of the phone after you refinish it, if you do that sort of thing. The same collector buddy above likes to say "Brown is Beautiful" and I agree. A beautiful phone, and complete with the rare straight  line handset cord too. Congratulations!
Jonathan

foots

Wow, nice one JimH. I'm still on the fence about brown, but one with a straight cord is definately cool.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Jim, you truly were in the right place at the right time!  Timing IS everything in life.  Great buy.  I am excited to see more photos once it arrives and after you dress it up a bit. 

JimH

Now the pressure's on.  Will it be as good as it would be if it had the "Dennis" treatment?
Jim H.

Dennis Markham

Jim, no pressure.  It will be excellent.  And hopefully you won't need to sand away a deep gouge.  And it appears to be all original.  It's a great addition to your collection.  If it doesn't live up to your standards, let me know.  I'll be glad to give you $49.95 plus shipping for it! :)

bingster

Great timing, Jim!  This is how I got my U500 for $35.  Right place, right time.

The seller clearly doesn't know anything about phones, because they have a modular 500 for the same BIN price.

= DARRIN =

Jester

Ditto on the timing, Jim!  There are many of us here who would have done precisely the the same thing, but you were there first!  And don't let the "Dennis" touch, or anyone else's for that matter, rob you of the joy of having something rare for a really special price.  And Dennis would readily agree.  My mahogany cost alot less but, in the long run, is worth alot less, considering what it will take to make it decent again.  BTW, you weren't the one who bought the moss green 500 with gray cords for $35.00, Buy It Now, were you?  This auction was a couple Sunday's back.  I caught that auction right AFTER it ended!
Stephen

benhutcherson

Jim,

Great find and congratulations.

The bargains are certainly out there, and you found one of them.