News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can U build your own "subset?"

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 03, 2010, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

If you want to be able to use W.E. B-1 and/or D-1 handset mounts (especially with E-1 handsets), AND if you do not have an original subset AND if you do not care about "cosmetics," could you build your own subset using a mini-network and a mini-ringer?  You'd simply hide these in an inconspicuous box near your wall jack.

1) e.g., mini-network:

www.phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&horh=home&gorl=list&group=main&category=Net&topic=01003

2) mini-ringer:

www.phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&horh=home&gorl=list&group=main&category=Net&topic=01006

What else would you need?

Thanks!!!
;D

bellsystemproperty

I think you can. Somebody else on the forum used a 500 base for this. Whatever you, don't wreck a good 500 to make a subset. Use one that's missing its handset, dial, etc and the base.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

Phonesrfun

You can do a simple sidetone version using a 470 ohm resistor and a 2Mfd Capacitor and a small terminal strip, all of which can be purchased at radio shack.

It will be sidetone, which means that it will be very similar to the 1920's phones that were not antisidetone.  This means you will hear your own voice in the receiver louder than is normally experienced these days.  The B1 handset mount of the 102 circuit were sidetone sets anyway.

This "cheater" subset is electrically acceptable and will not cause any damage to the phone receiver and transmitter.  I can detail it tonight on the forum when I get home from work.

Other than that, you can build a subset, including a ringer from a junker 302 phone.  Using a 500 involves more wires between the subset and the phone itself, so I would not go that route
-Bill G

Jim Stettler

The short answer is: any self contained telephone base (300/500) will work as a subset.
Don't bastard a phone to make a subset. You can buy the carcasses cheap.
The thing to keep in mind while wiring is the control circuit ( your phone) vs the subset (the other phone).

Follow the wiring of the subset phone and connect your phone to the equivalent terminal*s, and you will have a working phone. Once you get the basic rigged and working, then you can clean it up.
JMO,
Jim
* handset for handset, switch for switch, dial contacts for dial contacts ect.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

Use something like the one I found recently on ebay, No use ruining a good 500...
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I have many old 500 chassis's with the 425B network and switch intact.  You're welcome to have one for the cost of shipping.  Just send me a personal message if you're interested.  I can put a C4A ringer on the chassis too so you'll be all set.

Come in Nighthawk

[/size]
Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 03, 2010, 05:23:00 PM
You can do a simple sidetone version using a 470 ohm resistor and a 2Mfd Capacitor and a small terminal strip, all of which can be purchased at radio shack.

It will be sidetone, which means that it will be very similar to the 1920's phones that were not antisidetone.  This means you will hear your own voice in the receiver louder than is normally experienced these days.  The B1 handset mount of the 102 circuit were sidetone sets anyway.

This "cheater" subset is electrically acceptable and will not cause any damage to the phone receiver and transmitter.  I can detail it tonight on the forum when I get home from work.

<snip>

Kewl.  Phonesrfun, can U point me to your 'detail' for the wiring you suggest w/ RadioShack parts?  Hopefully a really simple drawing a mere layman can follow!!!   ;D

HarrySmith

I believe Ray Kotke offers a plastic "top" to put on a 302 chassis to make a subset. You can check out his site here:
http://www.telephonecreations.com/
If you have never looked at Ray's site it is worth the trip, he has created some really beautiful phones!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

teka-bb

Hello Harry,

It's listed on this page: http://www.telephonecreations.com/prod05.htm

as: Western Electric 302 subset cover (converts 302 base to subset)

They look really nice, I've seen a few when I was in the US. I think they come in ivory or black.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Come in Nighthawk on June 25, 2010, 09:57:28 AM

Kewl.  Phonesrfun, can U point me to your 'detail' for the wiring you suggest w/ RadioShack parts?  Hopefully a really simple drawing a mere layman can follow!!!   ;D

I will do that.  Probably tonight.  I have been going crazy at work the last few days  :)

-Bill
-Bill G

Come in Nighthawk

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 25, 2010, 11:59:56 AM

I will do that.  Probably tonight.  I have been going crazy at work the last few days  :)

-Bill

Take your time.  I'm not going to be able to dash right out to RS to get the pieces-parts!  Appreciate the help!!  :D