News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What a waste to a perfectly good F1 handset

Started by Gary Z, April 17, 2018, 08:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

Here is another travesty caused by "lampitis". A sickness that can not be understood to collectors. I just found this the way it is and it is on its way to eBay. Item # 173275695268.

=======================

EDIT:  images and direct link added

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-AA1-Desk-Telephone-Lamp/173275695268

LarryInMichigan

If that is a genuine A1 base, it is (was) worth an awful lot more than the handset.  I am suspicious though if it is genuine or a replica.  What do the members think?

Larry

rdelius

Not a replica base but not enough to tell if it is the right one. Sticks have patent dates on the base,A1s do not have any markings.The plunger assy wpold be hard to get but one off of a B2 might fit

Doug Rose

Looks like a A1 cradle on a B1 base. Look at the angle of the dial, it should be flat like on a stick. This is at a B1 angle. BUT....I will take it for $200  8)....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 17, 2018, 10:00:32 PM
Looks like a A1 cradle on a B1 base. Look at the angle of the dial, it should be flat like on a stick. This is at a B1 angle. BUT....I will take it for $200  8)....Doug

Yes, I believe that you are correct.  I see that the shape of the A1 is flatter than the B1, but the cradle parts look genuine, so they are worth more than a bit.  An example of the real thing was just listed on ebay by the same seller: ebay link.

Larry

rdelius

I do not think it is a B1 base. No markings above and below the cord hole. The base should be unmarked with no patent dates -could be faked by polishing them off.

andy1702

I'm restoring a lamp-ised candlestick (GPO150) at the moment. A lot of these conversions look like they'd be pretty easy to put back to being phones.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Roody on April 17, 2018, 08:08:07 PM
Here is another travesty caused by "lampitis". A sickness that can not be understood to collectors. I just found this the way it is and it is on its way to eBay. Item # 173275695268.

=======================

EDIT:  images and direct link added

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-AA1-Desk-Telephone-Lamp/173275695268

Somebody actually put in a bid! $199.00 for an A1 shaft with no plunger is a bit high! There was a discussion on the lists and the conclusion was that the brass base was a Phoneco piece from the candlesticks thay had made.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 19, 2018, 05:41:23 PM
Somebody actually put in a bid! $199.00 for an A1 shaft with no plunger is a bit high! There was a discussion on the lists and the conclusion was that the brass base was a Phoneco piece from the candlesticks thay had made.

I agree that $199 is rather high for an A1 shaft/cradle.  None of the other parts on this are worth any significant amount.  Perhaps the bidder already has the other A1 parts needed to make a complete phone.

Larry

rdelius

I do not think that i s a a phoneco base .The grommet looks too nice. Used lots of repro while at COT

andy1702

I just had a thought... Has anyone ever tried converting a table lamp into a telephone? I imagine you could turn one into some kind of candlestick design with a bit of ingenuity. It might even be possible to use the guts of a cell phone to make it cordless!  :D

Just a thought ;D ;D ;D
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Pourme

Quote from: andy1702 on April 21, 2018, 12:56:04 PM
I just had a thought... Has anyone ever tried converting a table lamp into a telephone? I imagine you could turn one into some kind of candlestick design with a bit of ingenuity. It might even be possible to use the guts of a cell phone to make it cordless!  :D

Just a thought ;D ;D ;D

Lampitis, collectors would get upset that we wasted a perfectly good lamp!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

This went for $296 for a Partial A Mount. I guess with a dial stick base you could make a nice Just For Looks Phone....Doug
Kidphone