News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My phones saved the day, for real!

Started by Nilsog, November 30, 2012, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

You should have pretended to be eccentric old kook with nothing in the house more modern than the 1940's!

Terry

Phonesrfun

Some of us don't have to pretend to be eccentric old kooks.
-Bill G

Owain

I think we should all (suitably) comment on this and show the general worldwide interest in phone collecting!

Dennis Markham

Ken, I just saw the link to the news article.  Very nice.  Thought I'd attach the photo from the article, also very nice.  The link to the article is posted in Reply #21.

twocvbloke

I think it's great that it's been put into the papers, it's proof positive that digital IP Voip systems shouldn't be relied upon, and are not compatible with other technologies, whereas with an analogue telephone, you just plug it in and it works... :)

Well, most of the time... :D

Owain

I presume that, despite what the article said, you "lent" your phones rather than "donated" them.

Nilsog

Quote from: Owain on December 08, 2012, 12:07:37 PM
I presume that, despite what the article said, you "lent" your phones rather than "donated" them.

You would be correct!

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 08, 2012, 08:53:15 AM
Ken, I just saw the link to the news article.  Very nice.  Thought I'd attach the photo from the article, also very nice.  The link to the article is posted in Reply #21.

Thank you.
Ken

DavePEI

I do have one question, though. When it is so important to have un-interrupted communication, why didn't they update the system to one which could be fixed more easily and with parts available?

Seems that would have made more sense than searching for the last unit available in the U.S. I have been waiting for someone else to ask that question. I understand budgetary constraints, but this is public safety we are talking about.

Devil's Advocate
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Nilsog

Believe it or not, we bought that system and updated all the sets 4 years ago.
Ken

DavePEI

Quote from: Nilsog on December 08, 2012, 10:18:57 PM
Believe it or not, we bought that system and updated all the sets 4 years ago.
Hi Ken:

Shows how fast things can become obsolete these days! Thank goodness they had you and your phones to tide them over! Hope they left the temporary lines in - there will likely be a next time.

Dave

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jester

news link

I'll let the newsclip tell the story.  This was originally posted on the TCI board, but, since the "phone collector" in the article is actually a forum member, I thought I'd post the story here & give him a proper CRPF "atta-boy".
Quick thinking by Ken allowed the Police and Fire Department to communicate with the rest of town over the next five days.
Stephen

Dialvintage

Nilsog I think it is well cool your rotary vintage phones saved the day! Just goes to show how well they were made! I have had mobile phones die after 2 years!