News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can Anyone Help Identify These 302s?

Started by LarryInMichigan, September 20, 2010, 01:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I craigslist seller about 45 mins from me is trying to sell these two 302s for $60.  I asked her to send me pictures of the rear sides so that I could try to determine if they are of the 1937 vented types.  I tried to ask her on the phone if they had vertical vents, but she does not understand.  Do these look like 1937 models?

Thank You

Larry

HarrySmith

UMM, the pictures of the back show no vents.
For $60.00 if you don't want them I will take them!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Ditto........what Harry said.  Especially the one with the E1 handset.  You may get lucky with a nice #4 dial in one of them too.

KeithB

Yup, with the E1 handset, it very well might be, but with the Z/Operator dial plates, you may get zero, one, or even TWO 4H dials, if you're lucky.  I'm with Harry and Dennis, if you don't want to pay that, do it anyway and call me up.  I'll gladly ;D give ya $30 for one of 'em.

Doug Rose

Larry...I'd be there yesterday. These are a steal for $60....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Without speculating on the nature of the dials or the exact age of the phone, consider:

• The average 302 costs about $25-30 if you factor in shipping costs.
    These are both metal, which adds to the value, and the paint looks good
    The E-1 is worth at least $30 itself.

I would be in my car on my way to pick those puppies up.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Well, I was going to go out to get them today, but by the time I was ready, rush hour had already begun, and there is alot of traffic on the freeways between here and there, so I told the seller that I was planning on coming tomorrow morning.  She is about 30 miles from here.

She stated that she is firm on the price, and that I must buy both together.  She told me on the phone that the phones came from a friend or relative who was a collector, so I plan to ask if there are any more in her barn.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Let me know if you need back-up Larry.  I'm free on Tuesday.  :)

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on September 20, 2010, 11:13:59 PM
Let me know if you need back-up Larry.  I'm free on Tuesday.  :)

Dennis,

If you want to come with, you're welcome to do so.  It's a 45+ miles from you though.  The seller is in Belleville (west of Metro Airport).  I hope to leave around 10:30-11:00.  I need to be home for a 2:30 meeting.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Well, I just returned 20 minutes ago with the phones.  One of them is metal, the other plastic.  The metal one is dated 10-37.  It has the short cradle ears (shorter than my 1938 302) and older-style components.  It does not have the vents under the cradle.  It does have a round wooden plug in the underside of the shell.  The dial is a 4H dated "I 35".  It has an F1 handset with a transmitter also dated 10-37 (I haven't managed to unscrew the receiver cap yet).  The line cord has a cheap four-prong plug on it.  I plugged in the phone, and it did work, but with some static.

The other phone is dated 1947.  It has a large vertical crack in the plastic shell in the front next to a corner.  The dial is a 5H.  The face plate and finger wheel are badly worn.  The base is missing a couple of screws.  Overall, it is not a particularly exciting phone.  The handset that was on it is an E1 with a bullet transmitter.  The receiver capsule is dated "III 37".  I have not yet been able to unscrew the bakelite parts from the transmitter.  The handset is in fair condition.  There are some gouges, scratches, and chips.

Larry

HarrySmith

Congrats!
Sounds like you got a great deal!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on September 21, 2010, 02:03:16 PM
Well, I just returned 20 minutes ago with the phones.  One of them is metal, the other plastic.  The metal one is dated 10-37.  It has the short cradle ears (shorter than my 1938 302) and older-style components.  It does not have the vents under the cradle.  It does have a round wooden plug in the underside of the shell.  The dial is a 4H dated "I 35".  It has an F1 handset with a transmitter also dated 10-37 (I haven't managed to unscrew the receiver cap yet).  The line cord has a cheap four-prong plug on it.  I plugged in the phone, and it did work, but with some static.

The other phone is dated 1947.  It has a large vertical crack in the plastic shell in the front next to a corner.  The dial is a 5H.  The face plate and finger wheel are badly worn.  The base is missing a couple of screws.  Overall, it is not a particularly exciting phone.  The handset that was on it is an E1 with a bullet transmitter.  The receiver capsule is dated "III 37".  I have not yet been able to unscrew the bakelite parts from the transmitter.  The handset is in fair condition.  There are some gouges, scratches, and chips.

Larry...is the E1 seamless. Check the caps as well. If they are all seamless, you still got quite a deal. The 37 is a great find....Doug

Larry,
Kidphone

Kenny C

the handset is seamless but not the caps
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Kenny must have been peeking through my window.  The handset is seamless, but not the caps.

Larry