News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITI Indian Phone

Started by wds, December 27, 2012, 01:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Are these indian phones collectable at all?  I can't seem to find anyting on these phones, and I have an opportunity to pick this one up for about $60.  Looks a lot like the GPO phone.
Dave

twocvbloke

They're considered as cheap clones of the GPO's 300 series phones, at that prce it's probably worth it, but they're far below the quality of the GPO's offerings... :)

And some info on ITI and how to spot their phones:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/iti.htm

http://www.britishtelephones.com/collect.htm

LarryInMichigan

I think that I would pass on it.  The Indian phones have poor quality bakelite.  The real British ones can be found for cheap if one looks enough.  I have two British GPO 300 series and an Australian version, and I got each for less than $60.

Larry

AE_Collector

The difference would be if it were a colored one for $60. Still a cheap clone but it might be nice to have a colored one even if it is a cheap colored one. As Larry says, you can pick up a real black one for $60.

I think the Indian phones are made with some of the original molds but just inferior bakelite and electrics....aren't they?

Terry

twocvbloke

It'd be nice if the real thing was less than $60 in the country they originated from... :o

ebay UK GPO 332 search link...

Owain

I paid £60 in a shop for mine - and that was in the days before the internet.

However with a little ingenuity, and from the results of that ebay search:

case £6 + postage
internals £10 + postage
base £3 + postage

leaving our intrepid collector to hunt down a handset, dial, and drawer front (the drawer front being the expensive bit, and £20 from another ebay seller)

wds

Thanks for all the input.  I think I'll keep the $60 and put it towards a good GPO instead.  Hopefully I get as lucky as Larry and find one for a good price.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on December 28, 2012, 08:06:40 AM
Thanks for all the input.  I think I'll keep the $60 and put it towards a good GPO instead.  Hopefully I get as lucky as Larry and find one for a good price.

If I can do it, anyone can!

Larry