News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to Fix WECo Dial Plate Numbers

Started by dencins, April 01, 2010, 01:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

Has anyone done any work to fix worn numbers on WECo #2, #4, #5 or #6 number plates?  I do not mean using the overlays that are available.  This would be rubber stamping or painting the number plate to correct worn areas. 

The construction of the number plate appears to be stamped steel with a white porcelin layer.  It then appears black letters were ink stamped on followed by some type of clear coat then the red numbers.  This could easily be the wrong sequence but on number plates I have checked, the red numbers are worn but the black letters are intact unless the clear layer was scratched.  Possibly the red ink reacted different to the clear layer than the black.     

On the plates with both numbers and letters (150B) they are 11/64" high and appear to be an ink stamp.

On numbers only plate (150A - rural?) it also appears the black ink is below the clear layer and damage is usually the result of scratches not wear like the red numbers.  The numbers are 5/16" high.  Maybe these did not get as much use as the other type.

I have seen a number stamping kit mentioned somewhere but can not remember the name of the manufacturer.  It sounded like this kit was used by field service people.

Any ideas how to restore the red numbers?

Dennis

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on April 01, 2010, 01:12:36 AM
Has anyone done any work to fix worn numbers on WECo #2, #4, #5 or #6 number plates?  I do not mean using the overlays that are available.  This would be rubber stamping or painting the number plate to correct worn areas. 

The construction of the number plate appears to be stamped steel with a white porcelin layer.  It then appears black letters were ink stamped on followed by some type of clear coat then the red numbers.  This could easily be the wrong sequence but on number plates I have checked, the red numbers are worn but the black letters are intact unless the clear layer was scratched.  Possibly the red ink reacted different to the clear layer than the black.     

On the plates with both numbers and letters (150B) they are 11/64" high and appear to be an ink stamp.

On numbers only plate (150A - rural?) it also appears the black ink is below the clear layer and damage is usually the result of scratches not wear like the red numbers.  The numbers are 5/16" high.  Maybe these did not get as much use as the other type.

I have seen a number stamping kit mentioned somewhere but can not remember the name of the manufacturer.  It sounded like this kit was used by field service people.

Any ideas how to restore the red numbers?

Dennis

Dennis, There is a 3rd generation, porcelain sign, restoring, family . These folks restore old porceiln signs using methods from grandad on down. They would probably be the best people to answer your questions. They know the medium.

They are located in a plains state. If you can't find them on the internet, let me know and   I will have a look.
Their opinions would probably be the most  expert opinion for porcein repair.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Wallphone

Dencins,  the name and model of the stamp kit is NEUSES N2315. There are none on eBay at the moment.
I think the best way to repair a dial plate would be to use a mask or stencil and hand paint over the damaged area. The hard part would be making the mask/stencil. I have noticed the same thing as you about the red wearing out before the black.
Dougpav

bingster

I don't know the ins and outs of the porcelainizing process, but I think the glass was fired on in different stages, with the red and black glass being the last to go on.  The colors are all glass enamel, though, just like an enamel sign.  There's no ink involved.  That's why you can often discern an ever-so-slight "raised" effect to the characters.  They sit up off the white, most likely because they were fired on separately from the white ground.
= DARRIN =