1 (2.1%)
Up to and including the 80s
3 (6.3%)
Love them all even the new ones made today
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: May 31, 2015, 07:42:26 PM

Tonyrotary

In my other thread I asked what you all prefer, wall or desk phones. In this thread I ask what era of phones you all like? Before 1930? 30s & 40s? 50s & 60s? 70s & 80s?

I think I prefer the 30s &40s the most. You had the WE302 and WE354. and of course the other brands as well. Next would be the 50s and 60s. But in reality I love them all.  Some just more than others.

WEBellSystemChristian

My favorite era is the 1950s and 1960s. That was the great era of the 500s, 554s, 1500s, Trimlines, Princesses, etc, pretty much places everything into motion for the designs we still see today.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: Tonyrotary on May 03, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
In this thread I ask what era of phones you all like? Before 1930? 30s & 40s? 50s & 60s? 70s & 80s?

Sounds like a good poll question. So, poll added.

Each member can select one or two date ranges.

Poll will run for 10 days.

Should be interesting.

Tonyrotary

Thanks Teleplay! I voted for two era's but just remembered the trimline falls out of the ranges I voted for. Always had a soft spot for that style.

TelePlay

Even though there is a poll on this question, that does not mean that members can post replies here to talk about the phones they like and why. I didn't mean for the poll to stop the posts. Just thought the poll would be a quick way to summarize all of the replies to this topic.

podor

For me, it's what I saw as a kid. I prefer mostly WE, from the 500 up until the CS phones came out. I remember a yellow Trimline in our kitchen and a green 2500 in my parent's bedroom. One grandma had a black 554 that she rented up until the 90s. My other grandma had a light blue rotary princes. I loved to see it light up. It seems like there is a childhood connection with most collectables.

jsowers

For me, it's not what I had, but what I couldn't have that I like to collect. I have some of what I grew up with--1950s and 60s AE phones--in my collection, but I always considered them inferior when I was growing up. All my mom's six siblings had phones from Southern Bell and that's what I always wanted but couldn't have. One uncle worked for Southern Bell, so he and my aunt always had the latest phones in the 1960s--a Princess and a Trimline, and both lit up. My aunt even has a small phone collection too, in my uncle's memory. I was happy to give her an aqua blue 702 Princess for her birthday one year and she decided to put it in my grandmother's bedroom. It gave me great pleasure to install that phone so it would light up.

Yes it's a childhood connection, and I've carried it into adulthood!
Jonathan

DavePEI

Only one problem exists with the pole. I am stuck in a quandry, since I love all phones from the beginning right up to 1989. Not all of us are stuck in only one decade. I am sure that leaves more than me out.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

Maybe include a vote called "Love 'em all!"?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 04, 2015, 08:15:12 AM
Maybe include a vote called "Love 'em all!"?
Or allow people to check as many as needed. You are limiting people to only to two decades span the way the pole is currently. Sort of assumes people like only a decade or two. In other words the pole is self limiting the accuracy of its result.
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

In my other thread I asked what you all prefer, wall or desk phones. In this thread I ask what era of phones you all like? Before 1930? 30s & 40s? 50s & 60s? 70s & 80s?

I think I prefer the 30s &40s the most. You had the WE302 and WE354. and of course the other brands as well. Next would be the 50s and 60s. But in reality I love them all.  Some just more than others.

From Tonyrotary's original post, it seems he was asking which of the eras he created each member liked best. The " . . . what era of phones you all like . . . "  and then defining the eras to me seems to mean he was looking for a members first choice if they could only pick one. What say you, Tonyrotary?

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on May 04, 2015, 07:17:57 PM

From Tonyrotary's original post, it seems he was asking which of the eras he created each member liked best. The " . . . what era of phones you all like . . . "  and then defining the eras to me seems to mean he was looking for a members first choice if they could only pick one. What say you, Tonyrotary?
Well. there are those of us who can't only pick one (or two). You are leaving us all out. The poll assumes people are only most interested in only a very narrow range of phones. I cannot pick a favorite. The only era I am not most interested in are those made 1990 and after.

My favoites are:
My Bell Canada Blake 3 boxer, Strowger 11 digit, various magneto sets and switchboards, 102s, 202s, 302s, 500 sets, princess sets, Later NT sets. I can't chose as I have favorites in all these ranges..

I won't and I can't narrow it down to one or two decades and therefore won't be able to be counted.
C*NET 1-651-0001

Tonyrotary

QuoteFrom Tonyrotary's original post, it seems he was asking which of the eras he created each member liked best. The " . . . what era of phones you all like . . . "  and then defining the eras to me seems to mean he was looking for a members first choice if they could only pick one. What say you, Tonyrotary?

Exactly what I was trying to do. I was trying to see what each member prefers the most. Of course I now realize some love them all the same! For me I prefer the 30s-40s the most but love the other eras too except for after the 80's.

Okay added two new options!

DavePEI

Quote from: Tonyrotary on May 05, 2015, 07:28:57 PM
QuoteFrom Tonyrotary's original post, it seems he was asking which of the eras he created each member liked best. The " . . . what era of phones you all like . . . "  and then defining the eras to me seems to mean he was looking for a members first choice if they could only pick one. What say you, Tonyrotary?

Exactly what I was trying to do. I was trying to see what each member prefers the most. Of course I now realize some love them all the same! For me I prefer the 30s-40s the most but love the other eras too except for after the 80's.

Okay added two new options!
Thanks, Tony! That was my point. Of course, running the Museum, all are of importance to me. The only ones I don't have any use for are the off-shore imports from the past 25 years.

I just wanted to make sure that even nuts like me had an opportunity to vote!  It won't effect the accuracy of you pole, but it will allow anyone who like me, can't pick a particular decade. Who knows, maybe there is only myself (at least so far). But once people notice the change, you may get more in the up to and including 80s range.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

savageje

Interesting that so far, there is a lot of consensus in the eras of interest.  For me, 1950-69 is the real sweet spot.  I think that this is mostly because my collection consists of phones that I've been able to find in local areas.  The best examples I've been able to locate are from that period, with just a few exceptions.