News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 handset modified for a modular plug?

Started by wds, May 28, 2015, 09:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is this E1 fitted with a modular plug?  Could this be a repro handset of some kind? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141673908031

Dave

poplar1

Other than the WE dial, the phone is a reproduction. Phoneco sells these, but they are usually not painted black. Note that the base mounting screws are too far apart and too small, also note the flat front on the cradle, and, yes, the modular handset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

electric al

Quote from: poplar1 on May 28, 2015, 10:06:34 PM
Other than the WE dial, the phone is a reproduction. Phoneco sells these, but they are usually not painted black. Note that the base mounting screws are too far apart and too small, also note the flat front on the cradle, and, yes, the modular handset.

How would you successfully install a modular plug on a round cord ?   :-\
Never met a phone I didn't like !

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: electric al on May 29, 2015, 08:50:33 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on May 28, 2015, 10:06:34 PM

How would you successfully install a modular plug on a round cord ?   :-\
The whole handset is repro! It looks like an E1, but it has an extra hole in the center of the receiver cap, one that wouldn't be there on a normal E1 handset!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

It sounds like someone is going to be pretty unhappy when they buy it and then open it up, unless they don't know the difference between the original and the repro.
Dave

NorthernElectric

Quote from: electric al on May 29, 2015, 08:50:33 AMHow would you successfully install a modular plug on a round cord ?   :-\

Very easily.  A 'round cord' has 3 or 4 individual wires inside the outer cover.  So you just strip back the outer cover, arrange the inner wires in the correct order holding them flat, trim the ends even with each other, slide on the modular plus, then crimp.   :)
Cliff

andre_janew

They used to sell cloth covered handset cords with a modular plug on each end on eBay for the Country Junction phones.  Of course, they claimed they would work on other phones as well.

electric al

Quote from: NorthernElectric on May 29, 2015, 09:42:39 AM
Quote from: electric al on May 29, 2015, 08:50:33 AMHow would you successfully install a modular plug on a round cord ?   :-\

Very easily.  A 'round cord' has 3 or 4 individual wires inside the outer cover.  So you just strip back the outer cover, arrange the inner wires in the correct order holding them flat, trim the ends even with each other, slide on the modular plus, then crimp.   :)

I tried that   ...   ...   looks like hell !
Never met a phone I didn't like !

wds

Sold for $113.50.  I'm curious how long until the phone is returned by the Buyer when they find out it's a plastic repro, then put back on Ebay.
Dave

HarrySmith

If you look closely you can see the seam down the middle on top of the handset.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

andre_janew

Does anyone know what sort of elements would be put in a reproduction E-1 handset?  Would it have the same transmitter and receiver as a G-1 handset?  I'd like to know because I know nothing about reproduced phones.