"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this thing? -> North Electric 541

Started by cloyd, June 04, 2015, 08:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Quote from: paul-f on June 05, 2015, 06:29:36 PM

Steve,  Are you looking in a North Electric (NE) catalog or the other NE?

The dial shown above identifies the set as North.

I'm interested to see the model number marking, as the North desk sets I've seen have lower model numbers.

http://www.paul-f.com/North555.htm

Paul, I am also unfamiliar with North Electric model numbers in that range. The following are numbers listed for the models that were cloned from Western Electric's 500-series-

The optional features available with the North N-541 type telephones are identified as follows:

•       N-541 Straight hand-set cord.

•    
  •       N-542 Cradle-switch latch and straight hand-set cord.

•    
  •       N-546 Coiled handset cord.

•    
  •       N-547 Cradle-switch latch and coiled hand-set cord.

•    
  •       N-551 Superimposed ringing, straight handset cord.

•    
  •       N-552 Cradle-latch switch, superimposed ringing and straight handset cord.

•    
  •       N-556 Superimposed ringing, coiled handset cord.

•    
  •       N-557 Cradle-switch latch, superimposed ringing, coiled handset cord.

cloyd

Quote from: G-Man on June 05, 2015, 07:01:58 PM
Quote from: paul-f on June 05, 2015, 06:29:36 PM
Quote from: G-Man on June 05, 2015, 02:16:01 PM

Offhand I do not recall what a NE1582 instrument is and I am unable to find it so far in their catalogs, so...

Steve,  Are you looking in a North Electric (NE) catalog or the other NE?

The dial shown above identifies the set as North.

I'm interested to see the model number marking, as the North desk sets I've seen have lower model numbers.

http://www.paul-f.com/North555.htm

Paul, the photo did not load up when I first viewed Tina's reply and since she referred to  the 6-type dial in the following manner, "My ivory 302 is 1950 and the NE dial says it is a 6L, 10-65" I assumed by her usage of NE in the above instead of the customary NECo, she meant the telephone set with the frequency ringer was a Northern Electric instrument instead of a NORTH ELECTRIC set.

Just like the reply from another member referred to a "D1" without differentiating between the handset mounting or the ringer with the same designation. While most of us know what he meant a D1 handset mounting, newcomers can be easily confused when the correct abbreviations and nomenclature are not being use properly. 

In any event, since it is a North Electric (N.E.) instead of a Northern Electric (NECo) telephone, in regards to authenticity, it would not be an appropriate ringer. However, if she would like to use D1 ringer until she can find an straight-line "C"-type ringer, and if it physically fits, then it will work ok.

My first mistake was the model number on the NE/NECo telephone.  I think it is a 541.  It has a frequency ringer in it.

Mistake #2, NE and NECo are NOT the same thing...?  Please explain that one.  What is the difference in terminology between an "instrument" and a "set"?

I was hoping to use the D1B ringer in my 541 because they were made by the same company.  But they weren't?

My dial has a stamp in the metal that says Northern Electric Co. Made in Canada.  See photo. Will it work in lieu of a 5J in my ivory 302?

Sorry I made this so confusing but I may learn several valuable lessons here.

Tina Loyd

-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

NorthernElectric

Apparently, Paul-F and G-Man have identified your 500 series phone as being made by North Electric (Galion, Ohio), not Northern Electric (Canada).

Though I am not specifically familiar with a 6L dial, I have a 6A dial in one of my 302s and it works fine.
Cliff

paul-f

Tracking down info on the 6L dial is relatively easy, since Northern Electric generally used standard Bell System components.  Bell System Practices can generally be used as a reference.

In this case, looking in the TCI Library for 6L dials produces several good sources, including BSP 501-162-100, that describes types 5, 6, 7 and 8 dials.  Issus 7, Feb 68 shows the dial in table D, with a wiring reference and a comment that it was used in 600-type telephone sets.

You could either look up 600-type sets in the BSPs or consult my site to find out that they were Call Director sets.
   http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#CallDirectors

A 6L dial can generally be used wherever a 6A or 6D dial would be used, using only the pulse and one set of shunt contacts.

Regarding North and Northern Electric -- the names are close enough that they frequently cause confusion in situations like this.  Many only use NE for Northern Electric, as WE is a common abbreviation for Western Electric and both were part of the Bell System.  Some use WEco and NEco.  It's usually safer to always refer to North Electric using its full name or shortened to North.

There's a lot to learn, so be patient and feel free to ask questions. We all are at various stages of learning in this hobby and even the "experts" still have more to learn.  The more we learn, the more questions we have.  I'd move on to another hobby if I thought I knew it all.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

andre_janew

The ringer in your North 1582 looks similar to the ringer in a WE 500 set.  Whether or not such a ringer would actually work in your North set, I don't know.  However, I'm glad these guys figured out what the heck was inside your not a 302 phone.