"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ringer capacitor

Started by wfs1933, June 18, 2015, 02:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfs1933

Hello
I just bought a SL ringer to replace the 66hz partyline ringer in a 1941 NE Gallon the org ringer capacitor is 2mf will this still work on the SL ringer or should i replace it with a .47 - 1.0 capacitor?  (a NE ringer chart says the SL ringers use .7 and 1.0)
THANKS in advance for your help!

rdelius

It would work ,however it will pull more current when ringing and use more of your REN rating.Use the .47 and see how it works

poplar1

2 uF seems really high for the capacitor used with a 66 hz ringer, but about right for the talking capacitor. Are you sure it's 2 uF?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wfs1933

Yes it has two 2uf capacitors 1 for talk and 1 for the ringer.
Thanks

unbeldi

As Poplar1 stated, 2 µF is too large.

It is too large for any ringing circuit, post WW-I. This is especially true for a 66 Hz frequency ringer, for which most manufacturers used a capacitor of about 0.1 µF or less, even 0.05 µ at a ringing voltage of ca. 150 V.

A North Gallion is pretty much identical to the WECo 302, and a suitable SL ringer circuit should have the same values as well.

With a 2 µF cap, the telephone probably has a REN value of 3.

poplar1

Can you post pictures of the existing capacitors as installed? Perhaps someone added a really large value capacitor in an attempt to make the 66~ cycle ringer work on a 20~ line, but unsuccessfully.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

It will be hard to get that 66 cycle ringer to ring with 20 cycle ringing.changing the capacitor to altar the resonant frequency will not overcome the mechanical tuning .You might be able to loosen the clamps on the metal reed that the clapper arm is attached to make it move freer