News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Id this one - Please Another newbie ( Sub Set Stupid ) LOL

Started by jfrutschy, December 04, 2012, 10:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrutschy

Hi everyone my name is John Frutschy. I have talked to a few so far. Thank you so much for all your help.   This is what I have and would like to know if anyone could identify it?  My guess and I am a beginner novice/subset stupid... ???my guess; ae strowger, though the hand set may have been updated I believe and the cover plate installed where the mouth piece was attached.  What do you think about restoring it or maybe using the parts for a subset? 

I caught "phonitis) 4-5 months ago.  Let me quickly describe my collection so far.  I have 2 Candle sticks one a we(gorgeous), the other s.h. couch interphone. Sorry I purchased a completely restored we 102 b1 to start out.  In short 3-102's, 2-202's all these have  been glass beaded blasted ( the finishes were terrible ) except for my 1st one, and they are being powder coated as we speak.  i have also collected a green 202 that's beautiful.  I have several re-furbed 4h & 5h dials for all. I also have a WE bed n breakfast, and two ae 50 jukebox phones or tombstone. few misc. small phones that caught my eye.  Multi - Phoning HUH???  My 1st restoration will have pix soon, I found a honey of a B1, left natural finish a lil wear on the cradle.  I installed a 4h dial, cord set and new bottom cover, polished the E1 handset.  Failed my first test but thanx to all involved...Its Alive and ringing.  Seriously Thank You It mad it all worth it.

Thanks for listening Thanx for all the advice

Thanx to Doug for the steel wool and Avon treatment will post pix soon.  the body's of my ae 50's... looks great just as you said.   1 chrome, 1 brass/gold.  PS Doug...That's alot of darn work n steel wool !!!! :D

stub

jfrutschy ,
               You have a complete NICE working phone  . RESTORE ONLY !! Your phone started out being a AE 21  Wall set, Booster circuit ( see 1st pic )
                 Then in AE catalog 4055 C, pg 43, 1940 they offered a conversion kit with a type 38 monophone handset ( correct for your hookswitch , pic 3 ) to update the older 21's (2 pic). Yours had the next newer type 41 monophone handset added to it that doesn't fit your hookswitch.
                Your phone might work if you put the RED line in wire to terminal strip( in your second pic above ringer) #4 and GREEN line in wire to # 3. Then take ringer wire #5 and move it to #4. If it doesn't work I will try to find my converted 21 and see if we can figure out the wiring and post that pic tomorrow. Nice find and welcome to CRPF.   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

John,
        I found mine and it is a different 21 conversion . I have the 3 winding induction coil and 5 contact hookswitch but this one has the type 41 monophone handset and hookswitch. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jfrutschy

Thank you!  Im gonna get busy on it, it is already to be glass beaded, and and now I will send the dial out to be serviced.   I thought it was unique, guess I got a couple honeys in the making.   Everyone here has been fantastic Thanx again.  Pix of my 1st R/R  coming soon a few more tweaks...

John

Greg G.

Quote from: jfrutschy on December 04, 2012, 10:47:53 PM
Hi everyone my name is John Frutschy.  This is what I have and would like to know if anyone could identify it?  What do you think about restoring it or maybe using the parts for a subset? 

If you're looking for subsets, keep an eye out for busted-up 302s.  They make excellent subsets, are usually cheap, the parts not needed for the subset are usually worth what you paid, and you can buy custom-made covers for them.  The down side is ever since I learned they can be used for subsets, I've found that it's kinda hard to find one that's in such sad shape that you can justify turning it into a subset.  I've only found one so far that meets that criteria. There are other phones that can be used for subsets also, but I'm not sure on the availability of covers for them.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e