News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Phone Works WE Clear Covers

Started by Doug Rose, January 11, 2012, 11:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I thought I'd break down and buy 100 clear dial covers from OPW for $15. .15 cents a piece is not bad. BUT $18.25 shipping. Be serious!! 100 of these might weigh an once, maybe!!

Anyone know of a supplier of these? I used to get mine from Odis and I bought all he had went he was selling off his supplies.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, you might want to e-mail them (or call them) about that.  I have found errors on their site in the past and questioned the errors.  I bought 100 of those a while back and don't recall what I paid in shipping, but I never would have paid that much.  I'll bet there's a mistake somewhere.  I found them to be a real value when I bought mine.

Additional thought.........I may have purchased these at the same time I ordered cords and other things.  Perhaps I didn't notice the shipping rate for a single item.

twocvbloke

I made my own using an empty cola bottle (I used a 3 Litre bottle cos it was flatter), tracing round the damaged remains of my black WE500's cover, then cut it out, added a notch, and fitted it, looks perfect to me... :)

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle... ;D

Argee

Shipping is one dollar if you choose post office air from the drop down box, if you don't mind waiting 10 to 12 business days.

Doug Rose

thanks.....I'll give it a try.....Doug
Kidphone

GG

I also make them from scratch when needed.  Any decent flat flexible clear plastic will do, such as the lids on baked goods containers.  Trace around a good one using a permanent black marker, cut it out, and it's good to go. 

There are also "circle cutters" available online (check Amazon) that will cut perfect circles easily in thin materials such as this type of plastic.  Planning to buy one, one of these days.  Also useful for misc odd-sized dial centers such as a lot of the foreign ones.

Babybearjs

if OPW was here in the states, instead of canada.... I bet the shipping would be better.... but you did go with Fed-Ex, and they are more expensive...
John

Doug Rose

Quote from: Argee on January 11, 2012, 12:48:56 PM
Shipping is one dollar if you choose post office air from the drop down box, if you don't mind waiting 10 to 12 business days.
Well... I tried the $1 shipping and it was fine until checkout and the $18.25 popped back in. I sent an email to Don Woodbury. This is very disappointing....Doug
Kidphone

oldphoneworks

Hi Doug, I hope you got my full explanation via email this morning, if you did not, please call 1-800-843-1320 and ask for Mike Brown.

Thanks to John and Dennis for the kind words, I appreciate it guys.

HarrySmith

The shipping cost is the one thing that has stopped me from ordering a few times. I have wanted not only those covers but some modular plugs, cords & spades but the shipping was way more than the items every time.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

oldphoneworks

Hello all,

I would like the clear up this issue here, if I may. The very low shipping option that was chosen was only the up charge for Overseas customers and did not include the Overseas base fee. This is simply the way the site displays shipping pricing as it is defaulted for the North American market. We offer the lowest possible shipping charges that allow us to insure and put a trace on a package, if need be. We are very aware of our shipping charges and try to visit them every month. We have introduced some overnight options and exploring other options all the time. We answer all email questions so if there is every an issue, please just email oldphoneguy@oldphoneworks.com and Chris Ryce or Mike Brown will be sure to help. Thank you for your time. Mike Brown - manager - www.oldphoneworks.com

Doug Rose

Don/Mike.....Not to split hairs, but 200 clear dial covers can not go the same way a cloth covered cord does for $4.00 as in your eBay auction? My guess is the handset cord weighs a lot more than the dial covers....Doug
Kidphone

MDK

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 11, 2012, 12:33:55 PM
I made my own using an empty cola bottle (I used a 3 Litre bottle cos it was flatter), tracing round the damaged remains of my black WE500's cover, then cut it out, added a notch, and fitted it, looks perfect to me... :)

Could the punch described HERE be used with clear plastic soda bottles to make the clear covers? I like to recycle too.

twocvbloke

Quote from: MDK on January 12, 2012, 12:07:21 PMCould the punch described HERE be used with clear plastic soda bottles to make the clear covers? I like to recycle too.

I don't see why not, just cut the bottle open (make sure you wash it first!!) into a sheet of plastic, and just cut the circles out with scissors, a craft knife or the above cutter too... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: MDK on January 12, 2012, 12:07:21 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on January 11, 2012, 12:33:55 PM

Could the punch described HERE be used with clear plastic soda bottles to make the clear covers? I like to recycle too.

I have one I use for WE dial cards.

Be aware that the punch at that link is for a nesting circle with scalloped edges. I you want to order one, make sure you order the punch style that is perfectly round. Should be about the same price.

Dial cards are harder to punch because this is a blind punch so for a plastic cover, should be easy - nothing to center.