News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Radio Shack Phone Tester

Started by stopthemachine, February 20, 2011, 03:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopthemachine

Has anyone come across the Radio Shack phone tester on eBay?

http://tinyurl.com/4jooq9q

I wonder if it will work with any phone?  I'm sure it's to use with modular phones, but if one were to plug an older phone into a modular converter and try it... would the results still be the same?  

Here's what it looks like...

DavePEI

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 20, 2011, 03:04:20 PM
Has anyone come across the Radio Shack phone tester on eBay?

http://tinyurl.com/4jooq9q

I wonder if it will work with any phone?  I'm sure it's to use with modular phones, but if one were to plug an older phone into a modular converter and try it... would the results still be the same? 

Here's what it looks like...

I have one of these, and yes, it works just fine using modular converters.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

stopthemachine

Wonderful!  Thanks so much.  How much do you think I should offer the seller? 

I'm guess this device would test just about any telephone then? 

DavePEI

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 20, 2011, 03:19:16 PM
Wonderful!  Thanks so much.  How much do you think I should offer the seller?  

I'm guess this device would test just about any telephone then?  

If I remember correctly, I bought mine for $75 about 5 years ago. It seems to work well with any phone I have tested on it, but it isn't designed for multi-line or Key sets - however, you can wire it to any single line on a multi-line set.

One of the things I find most useful is the ringer test. Great for re-wiring party line ringers. Sure reduces abuse of the phone line during testing!

I collected some docs back then from Radio Shack - they are in the pdf file below.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

stopthemachine

Oh OK--very awesome.  Thanks for the info.

So I can even check much older phones like the desk stands? 

With party line ringers, how is it useful?

I'm intrigued by this gadget.

DavePEI

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 20, 2011, 03:36:50 PM
So I can even check much older phones like the desk stands? 

With party line ringers, how is it useful?

I'm intrigued by this gadget.

No, it will not test stands. It isn't particularly useful for party line wired phones, but is great when reverting these phones to non party line phones and testing to make sure they will ring properly... See the docs I just uploaded above.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

stopthemachine

Very useful document and thanks again!

I might consider this instrument because I'm currently "bleaching" phones--I tried to note which wires I took from where, but in case I botched things up, I can also use this tester to help me, right? 

I guess separate receiver phones don't function with this tester because it's trying to detect a handset, right?  (Combined receiver and transmitter)

DavePEI

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 20, 2011, 03:55:08 PM
Very useful document and thanks again!

I might consider this instrument because I'm currently "bleaching" phones--I tried to note which wires I took from where, but in case I botched things up, I can also use this tester to help me, right?  

I guess separate receiver phones don't function with this tester because it's trying to detect a handset, right?  (Combined receiver and transmitter)

If you are uncertain of your ability to restore a phone to its original wiring, take a series of photos with a digital camera in macro mode for clear close-ups. Pretty cheap insurance...

Re: your second comment. Stands don't have a network, therefore you cant test them with this....

It will however, work with any single line phone with a network which covers most phones made after 1950 (with the exception of those made for magneto use).

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

If the desk stand has a proper subset, you can test it.

I have used one for years, and can do the basic tests on a phone in less than a minute.

For troubleshooting, you can use it's dial tone and poke around inside the phone with a butt set to follow the signal.

I also plug a splitter in the phone test jack and have a test cord terminated in alligator clips for testing non-modular phones and ringers.  That way it's always there, so I don't have to go hunting.  The second jack on the splitter is available to test modular phones without removing the cord.

When you get these over the internet, make sure the fuse holder is in place.  It's a non-standard unit, which is difficult to replace directly.  Of course, you can always remove the original and substitute a common fuse holder.  It's just a pain.

While there are sellers looking for hundreds of dollars for these, if you're patient, you should be albe to find one for under $50.  I got mine at a phone show for less than that.

If yours will be mailed, proper packing is critical.  There's a lot of empty space inside, and a drop can cause the large circuit board to become dislodged -- creating all sorts of potential havoc.  When you unwrap it, it may make sense to look inside to make sure everything looks stable beofre applying power.

Good luck.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

stopthemachine

Thank you, Dave and Paul.

I might try to get it. 

It's funny you mentioned taking pix of the phone parts, Paul, because that's exactly what I did.  I believe they were pretty clear too, surprisingly.

I'm currently "baking" phones so I'm hoping for the best!  This is the third batch of the peroxide bath I've made up, and I'm beginning to get it down to a science.  I should have gone for being a science teacher instead of an English teacher!  ...then maybe I'd have a contract!   :D

AE_Collector

Did you bake any with chocolate chips? I'll try one when your done...

Terry

stopthemachine

No chocolate chips this time around--maybe next batch. 

About the phone tester--I'd love some of your opinions.  I was offered $105 and free shipping...should I go for it?  What do you think? 

It doesn't seem like a bad deal... but I'd love to know what everyone thinks. 

Adam

I'm curious exactly what you're planning on using this for.

If all you want to do is test telephone set reception/transmission and ringing, you can put together an Asterisk system with any old PC you have laying around, the FREE Asterisk "FreePBX" software and a two-port ATA that costs about $50 bucks.

There is a higher learning curve with this system than the tester, but it also gets you a complete working PBX you can use to make a home intercom out of, using standard phones.

Further, if you connect your FreePBX to the internet, with just a little more free setup, you can connect to the C*NET Collector's Network (www.ckts.info) and talk to phone collectors all over the world.  In addition, you can add VERY inexpensive SIP trunks and call out to and get calls in from the PSTN.

I'd be happy to help anyone who has Asterisk questions or needs help setting one up.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

Quote from: stopthemachine on February 20, 2011, 11:18:45 PM
No chocolate chips this time around--maybe next batch. 

About the phone tester--I'd love some of your opinions.  I was offered $105 and free shipping...should I go for it?  What do you think? 

It doesn't seem like a bad deal... but I'd love to know what everyone thinks. 
You can get a Panasonic 616 for half the price, with much more funtionality...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I think $75 is about right, maybe $90 with free shipping.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409