News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 51C Candlestick Telephone

Started by Desert Phone Guy, May 19, 2018, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Phone Guy

Recently, I picked up an incomplete 51-C candlestick at a local mall.  the phone perch is marked 51C.  It has a 323 Transmitter, and a 144 Receiver.  The wiring tree from th switch pileup is 5 conductor. The switching arrangement is unusual.  The phone did not have a dial when I acquired it.

Does anyone have experience with this model candlestick?  I would like advice on how best to restore it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Ktownphoneco

Steve  ....  Attached is a schematic of several variations of the Western desk stand you've mentioned.     It may help you with the wiring, or at least get you on the right track.    There are several CRPF members who are more knowledgeable in regards to the 51C than I am, and you may want to check with them.     Poplar1 is one of those individuals, and I'm sure he'll be able to provide you with more information.      The schematic image is compliments of the TCI Library.    Click twice to enlarge.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Jeff Lamb

poplar1

I believe that is the wrong diagram:  the 51CM has a transmitter cutout and 3-conductor cord to the subset.

The 51C also has  2 extra hookswitch springs, but they are used differently. On-hook, these contacts are closed to complete the ringer circuit. Off-hook, there is a high resistance to ground through the ringer for "Tip Party ID" on 2-party Message Rate Lines (2MR) in order to bill the correct party.

Originally had a 5-conductor cord between the 51C and a 554C subset.

More info can be found by searching "51C desk stand with 554C subset" in this forum.

The 151-C, 203, 304 are other phones used for Tip Party ID. The 354, 500, and 554 are factory wired with 4-wire ringers so that they can be converted to Tip Party ID by the installer when required.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Desert Phone Guy

thank you for the information!!

Probably it will be wired to use as a standard desk stand.

Would a 2aa or 2ab dial be appropriate for this set, or would it use a later 4 series dial?

poplar1

Originally had a 2A. You can use a 2H, 4H, 5H, or 6A: Just strap BB and R on the dial to make it equivalent to a 2A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.