News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

different 302 lamp-phone

Started by david@london, December 29, 2012, 06:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

could this be the originator of all the lamp-phones ?

ebay link -
http://tinyurl.com/csts3dz

Doug Rose

This is very cool....I was watching it. It is the real deal with a nice metal 302 with a 4H dial dated 3/38. It sure is a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Yeah, I was watching that auction also and didn't even think of putting it in the atrocity section because this was a very nice metal 302 that was in no way attached to that stand or modified in any way to make it a "lamp." Too high for me but if I'd won the auction, I would have asked the seller to ship the phone and keep the stand with the kinked metal lamp tubes.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 29, 2012, 08:16:11 PM
Yeah, I was watching that auction also and didn't even think of putting it in the atrocity section because this was a very nice metal 302 that was in no way attached to that stand or modified in any way to make it a "lamp." Too high for me but if I'd won the auction, I would have asked the seller to ship the phone and keep the stand with the kinked metal lamp tubes.
John...It is a very hard lamp to find, built to hold a 302 on it. I backed off as the lamps looks to be bent beyond repair....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 29, 2012, 09:18:07 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on December 29, 2012, 08:16:11 PM
John...It is a very hard lamp to find, built to hold a 302 on it. I backed off as the lamps looks to be bent beyond repair....Doug

Doug, I thought about that after I posted my comment. I thought a 500 may be used but then realized the footprint of the lamp stand was indeed made for a 302. Was this a factory produced lamp stand back in the day?

If it a one of the kind, I would think whomever bent those tubes in the first place didn't do a good job leaving flat spots which turned into irremovable kinks over time. Or just bad engineering using tube stock that couldn't take the weight of the bulb and shade when warm, or bumped, or both. An interesting lamp stand, indeed. Maybe one of the forum members got it (I don't have my spreadsheet on this computer) and will restore both, and post pictures.

AE_Collector

Ended at $101.50 plus shipping. Buyer is "eddiesfather0"  - Richard Meyers. Have no info on club membership status of him.

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 29, 2012, 10:09:36 PM
Ended at $101.50 plus shipping. Buyer is "eddiesfather0"  - Richard Meyers. Have no info on club membership status of him.

Terry
Rich is a very good customer of mine, I saw that he had purchased this. I have mention the Forum to him a few times and he has not answered me about it. He is an avid collector.

These lamps were not made by WE, but for WE products. You see them pop up from time to time. If the condition has been better this would have gone much higher in my humble opinion...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Someone with some skills should be able to completely replace the bent tubing. It looks as though one of the sockets has been repl;aced as well. A good project I would think!

Terry