"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 211 with a 684 A -- How to Convert it to 4 Prong or Modular

Started by bigdaddylove, August 03, 2011, 04:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

Hi,

I purchased this WE 211 with a 684 A on ebay for $49.99 plus shipping. I have searched the forum in order to answer my own questions about replacing some of the old wiring for new, more modern wiring such as a 4 prong or modular connector.

Alas, I may not be using the right terms, but I tried a variety of queries to no avail. Now, I ask for your help.

The 684 A has the old mounting wires and wall cord still attached. The wall cord has two wires (green and red) which I would like to swap out for a 4 prong or modular connection. How do I do that? I can deal with replacing the mounting wire myself since it is only a matter of replacing them one at a time with new wires.

Lastly, I am a complete newb and  have no electronics experience especially when it comes to reading schematics. Please dumb it down as much as possible, I'd really appreciate the effort!

REVISION

Okay, I was bored and thought to myself, " this isn't rocket science". So, I took an extra 3 conductor cord and hooked it up to the subset then I hooked up the wall mount to subset with the little wire that was left after removal and *POOF* it worked. I can make and receive calls and the ringers work.

So here is my question, where should I connect the yellow wire to in the subset? Can I just snip it off?

Greg G.

Quote from: bigdaddylove on August 03, 2011, 04:55:25 PM
Hi,

So here is my question, where should I connect the yellow wire to in the subset? Can I just snip it off?

If it isn't being used, I would just tape it rather than cut it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e