News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Most favorite (and least favorite) WE colors

Started by HobieSport, May 09, 2009, 03:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are our most favorite and least favorite WE colors?

-03 Black          '50
-50 Ivory          '53
-51 Moss Green '53
-52 Oxford Gray '53
-53 Cherry Red  '53
-53 Brown         '54
-55 Rose Biege  '54
-56 Pastel Yellw '54
-57 Med Blue     '54
-58 White        '57
-59 Rose Pink   '57
-60 Light Biege '57
-61 Light Grey  '57
-62 Aqua Blue   '57
-64 Turquoise    '64

Jester

You're forgetting about the two-tone sets, Ralph.  All eight colors were originally offered with the G1 and black #7 dial w/ metal fingerwheel, or a complete, color-matched set (except for the cords), which used the G3 handset.  The two-tone sets were gone by '57, but you could have a bakelite handset on a colored phone for a while.
Stephen

rp2813

LOL, I knew as I was typing that somebody would be able to come up with a G1-on-non-black-set scenario.  I had completely forgotten about the two-tones.  Black still wins with me though.  I think the two-tones are less appealing than a solid color set.  Most casual observers would presume a two-tone to be a product of a private owner mixing up a couple of phone sets.  But two-tones can offer up some hard to find parts, I'll say that.

Ralph
Ralph

AET

Quote from: rp2813 on May 15, 2009, 04:35:19 PM
mixing up a couple of phone sets.  But two-tones can offer up some hard to find parts, I'll say that.

Ralph

I've always felt the same way about 2-tones.
- Tom

Dan

I saw the most amazing sight @ a phone show today. It was a  transparent clear soft 1958 WE500 with thick grey curly cords. It was museum quality and had no price on it. The guy was just displaying it.

I really appreciated another first time sight, a NOS 1956 Mediterranean Blue with thick grey cords. He wanted $335 for it, probably worth every cent, but I couldn't afford it.

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jester

I know how some of you feel about two-tone phones, but I thought I'd include a shot of my '55 Oxford Grey set anyway.  The handset cord needs a little help, but the rest is quite decent. The best part is I picked this up at a local flea market for $5.00... but that was 25 years ago.
Stephen

Dan

Sweet two tone! That cord could be made new by the freeze -heat method (I think Dan/Panther has a good thread on this) I have a moss green with grey cords , but this is the first oxford grey two tone I have ever seen
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Me too.  Very nice, Jester.  The black and gray go well together at least to my eyes. It's only the two-tone phones that combine really different colors that just strike me as weird mixes.

McHeath

Cool phone, like those colors mixed together.  I also agree that the cord could probably be made well again with the heat/freeze method, it worked well for me on a cord with similar problems to this one.  Again, I like the phone and the colors.

Dan

I also like your "diamond" coke cans lurking in the back

Dennis Markham

Jester, that phone is awesome!  What a find!  I always say, jokingly that I'm going to find an Oxford Gray 500 at a flea market for $5 (and of course I never do) but I now know they are out there.  What part of the Country do you live?  Was there a dial card of any type in it when you found it?  I think one has to develop a "taste" for the two-tones.  I truly appreciate their rarity.  I have only two but I believe them to both be original.  You can see them on my web site here:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=50

Congratulations on your great find!

finlover

Turquoise is my favorite because it's the most evocative of the '50s, but aqua is a close second.  Least fave would have to be light beige.  It reminds me of the flesh color they paint mannequins--creepy...

Jester

Dennis,
I live in Southeast Texas(Beaumont).  It's thirty minutes due East to Louisiana & about 4 hours due west to finlover's Austin.  I did not find what I thought was an original dial card with this phone.  It had a white card with a red GE logo stamped on it.  I still have it around here somewhere.  I was looking at your two sets posted on your website just last night.  Without knowing actual figures, I would guess that the number of two-tones would be way less than number of solid colors for '53-'56.  I appreciate the compliments, and Dan, I thank you for spotting those cans.  Maybe I should post some pics of the Coke collection in the off topic forum.   
Stephen

Dennis Markham

There seems to be a lot of nice phones down there in Texas.  That sure is a nice one.  I have an Oxford Gray that I dropped after I bought it.  It damaged the number ring on the edge.  I have been thinking of making a two-tone out of it.  It has a matching G3 handset and matching handset cord however.

rp2813

I'll add my $.02 by agreeing that the Oxford Gray two-tone seems to pull it off better than the other color tones available at the time.  Nice phone and I'll bet the heat/freeze method would work wonders on that nice thick--and in this case matching--gray handset cord. 

Ralph
Ralph