News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WESTERN Electric 501 (party line ) Phones

Started by Dan, April 22, 2009, 12:11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I am in the process of geting a couple of 1956 WE 501 phones. I was wondering how they differ from 500's and if there is anything I need to do differently to get them to ring besides moving the Gray (blackish)  wire from G to L1 and making sure the tension spring  is in the correct position. These do not have frequency ringers in them, do they? How do they differ from 500's? Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Steve K

Yes, I have the 501 that came from my grandmother's house.

Dan

Does it ring ok , I just want to know the difference between this and a 500.

Dennis Markham

Once again referring to Paul Fassbender's site, you can read about 501 sets here:

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm

Dan

Thanks, I got them today, they look exactly like a 500 except the grey  ringer cord is  on G (party line position) I guess I'll move it to L1. It's too late to try to  ring them tonight (kids in bed) , I'll try tommorrow. Finally got a red soft one and an ivory too!

Dan

501's are just like 500's i just moved the ringer wire and they ring true!