News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a WECo White 1554

Started by cihensley@aol.com, January 22, 2011, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cihensley@aol.com

White I am waiting for the recovering of feet on the 500U (a different thread), I am restoring a Western Electric white 1554 I purchased from Vern Potter. The first picture is the set as received. The second picture show the first pass at the set with 360 grit. I have not yet cleaned the embossing area with the oscillating tool. Notice in the second picture, the handset is whiter than the shell. I suspect the handset is newer than the shell. My experience with restoring white sets is that the underlying plastic undergoes a slight darkening as the set ages. No matter how much material is sanded off it never becomes white white.

Chuck

Dennis Markham

Looking good, Chuck.  Did Vern mention that he was looking for one in Ivory?? :)

cihensley@aol.com

Dennis:

Yes. I think he has been looking for nearly two years. I have an ivory 2554, but based on Vern's experience I don't think I will ever have the 1554 in ivory. Because he has been looking so long, if I ever see one I will give him first crack at it.

Chuck

Jim Stettler

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on January 22, 2011, 03:42:24 PM
Dennis:

Yes. I think he has been looking for nearly two years. I have an ivory 2554, but based on Vern's experience I don't think I will ever have the 1554 in ivory. Because he has been looking so long, if I ever see one I will give him first crack at it.

Chuck
I think  he has been looking for an ivory for more than 5 years (could eaisily be closer to 10 ).

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

cihensley@aol.com

Here is the completed 1554.

Chuck

Craig T

Beautiful Chuck and amazing turn around time too!

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Adam

Yes, beautiful!  The 1554 is striking in that color!  Good work!
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Doug Rose

Chuck....its amazing, what a transformation....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Great job, Chuck.  That's a very nice phone now thanks to your work.

JorgeAmely

Chuck, excellent restoration on a rare 10 button phone. Did you use the polisher you showed pictures of long time ago?
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 22, 2011, 02:30:59 PM
Did Vern mention that he was looking for one in Ivory?? :)

You crack me up (and probably everyone else who has seen any number of Vern's postings)! I know very little about these phones so every time I see Vern "reminding" us that he still needs an Ivory 1554 I can't help thinking that Ivory would be most common color out there next maybe to black.

Nice job on the restoration Chuck!

Terry