News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

295A Bias Spring Adjustment

Started by zaphod01, March 12, 2018, 01:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I'm wiring a side screw 20-S to a previously untested 295A. The bell box is the New England Telephone and Telegraph version, with only a single connection strip on the right side. I traced all the wires and everything looks correct. It tries to ring but the striker doesn't come into contact with the bells. I've decided the next step is to attempt an adjustment of the bias spring. Question is: turn to the left or right?
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

RB

Have you tried re positioning the bells themselves?
not sure about turning spring...
would guess one way, makes it better, other, worse...
50/50 guess right first time?

Ktownphoneco

It will depend on which way the last person to load the thread on the brass friction screw turned it when he or she tensioned the spring that's attached to the clapper base.       Try turning it one way then the other to see which way releases tension on the spring.     You may also want to try reversing the two ringer wires.   Also check that the clapper base is properly seated in the two opposing pivot points, and that the clapper plate isn't too tight or too loose, allowing the plate to bind or flop around.
The other issue that comes into play is the efficiency of the magnet attached to the ringer's frame.    They have no keeper, and will over a long period of time, lose some of their magnetic properties.    Storage in excessively hot locations will also cause the magnet to deteriorate.     

Jeff Lamb

Sargeguy

The gongs are offset so turning them should work.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

zaphod01

Thanks! Rotated the gongs and it works! I really didn't want to mess with the bias spring adjustment.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart