News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Rubber Ad Base

Started by Fabius, February 05, 2018, 06:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Bought this on ebay for $11. It is marked on bottom: Golden State Rubber Mills " "Los Angeles Calif " Over the years I have seen these for sale. Does anyone know anything about it? Old stock hoard discovery years ago or repro?

https://tinyurl.com/yayv547t

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jim Stettler

Old stock. Out of Denver.
John Andrews was the guy who found them.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

I had a couple that looked new. I thought they detracted from the stick and B1 I had them on, so I sold them. They are cool, used to go for around $40, you got a deal.....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

The base arrived yesterday. I tried it on a few different phones. I fit on the WECO dial candlestick nicely.

Here's what I wonder about. I'm guessing that this is from the 1930/40s? If so the material it is made out of is incredibly soft and pliable. Too much so for something 75 years or more old. Back then what did they have to make this type of item out of.  A Goggle check shows that besides natural rubber there was synthetic rubber, which is any artificial elastomer. These are mainly polymers synthesized from petroleum byproducts. But the question remains. Is it possible for any natural or synthetic rubber to be as fresh and soft today as it was 75 years ago. Think of original base rubber on AE34 or 40s. While I've seen complete one they are never soft like on days one.

I'll try and do some researxch on the company names on it along with the manufacturer named underneath.

I wonder if and when Denver had a Keystone exchange with 5 digit dialing?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

It depends upon composition and how it was stored over the years.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409