"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Motherlode!

Started by Nilsog, March 16, 2012, 02:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi All:

I noticed this morning (Mar 21st), someone has made the first bid on the truck and tools!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Russ Kirk

I hope it is someone we know.  I would love to see the hidden treasures inside.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

sebbel

It's someone I know. :) I really hope he gets it. This is the truck we've been looking for. The same model my grand father was operating in Northern NB in the 60s
Seb.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on March 18, 2012, 11:49:57 PM
What on earth would a telephone installer do with a hatchet?   ???

I was going to say (as Dave did) for chopping the flat spot for all the cross arms. There is a name for them but I can't recall what it is now. The similar flat spot cut into the pole usually about 5 or 6 feet up from the ground (which also usually has the pole size and maybe a pole number in it) is called a "Butt gain mark". That is because it is 12 feet from the "butt" of the pole so one can easily determine how much of the pole is burried in the ground. Pole detail numbers are usually something like 6 and 45 for example. That is a #6 pole which is a rating of the diameter of the pole with a low number such as 3 or 4 being a skinny pole and 10 to 1 being a BIG pole. The second number is the toal pole height including the 12 feet from butt to gain mark.

Way more than anyone wanted to know!

Terry

Doug Rose

Well...this went much higher than I expected. It certainly went to the right place. The new owner has a Museum of his own....Doug
Kidphone

teka-bb

I suggested to show it at the San Jose show in November. Maybe, who knows...
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

AE_Collector

I don't think John LaRue of California (Stockton?) would mind being ID'd as the buyer. Selling price $6299.99 PLUS USPS Priority Shipping!

Does anyone know if any of the other bidders were phone collectors vs vehicle collectors? I can't ID any of the other bidders.

Terry

sebbel

One of the other bidder's was my Uncle. While neither specifically a phone nor a car collector. He has restored a number of cars and has a collection of many things. He is an historian and avid restorer, He worked as a curator for this place http://www.villagehistoriqueacadien.com/index_en.cfm early in his carrer.

The may interest in the truck is family history as that was the specific model of truck my Grand Father was driving in the 60's including all the tool the would have played with.

If anyone spot an old ford utility truck with/without the tools. If anything we had fun trying. :)
Seb.

McHeath

That's one amazing collection!  Never seen the like.  Seems like the price was right too, though way too high for my blood.

One wonders exactly how this truck got free of the Bell System?  Did they sell their old vehicles off?  And would they have left equipment on them?  Did some angry employee get fired and drive off with it? 

A hundred and three years ago, when I was a kid, we found a Bell System truck parked in a field out in the middle of nowhere, it was parked with some junk old farm equipment.  Keys in the ignition, still ran, it was a late 60's early 70's rig.  It was there for many months before it vanished one day, no idea what happened to it.  It seemed to have bins full of equipment as well, at least the unlocked ones were. 

AE_Collector

I am sure that the vehicles were sold or auctioned off then as now. Proceedure would have been to remove all equipment and likely ladder racks etc but some probably were disposed of including racks and other items. I think this vehicle did not likely come with all of this equipment but rather it was all just grouped together into one auction.

Terry