News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do you like about The Classic Rotary Phone Forum?

Started by Phonesrfun, October 04, 2009, 09:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

I especially like how you all take it slow and easy with an idiot just starting out.  :-)

Annoying new poster.

MagicMo

What I like about this Forum:

Kind People!-very patient with uninformed people like myself.
Knowledgeable People!-just today I learned that an old telephone magneto phone does not mean it is a pretty shade of purple. (not kidding!)

I can spend hours browsing the forum just learning from everyone.

I also love that everyone here shares a common affinity for telephone collecting, something my Dad loved. :)

Maureen

Practice Kindness :)

gpo706

Quote from: Stephen Furley on September 04, 2011, 06:45:52 AM
Quote from: foots on October 14, 2009, 03:58:27 AM
  Contraste, I was thinking the same thing about England. I've noticed from watching TV and from a few people I've met that the accent changes in different areas of the country. I once met 2 nice older fellows here that were on vacation or holiday as y'all folks call it. One guy was from Birmingham (England, not Alabama) and I could hardly understand him and his friend had more of an Irish sounding accent, though I'm not sure where in England he was from. but I'd cut back on eating before I'd even think of turning off my AC in the summer.

If you go West North West from Birmingham you come to the Black Country, where the traditional industries were metalworking, foundries, chain shops, nail makers etc.  One of the main towns in the area is Dudley; I would guess that it's about ten miles or so from Birmingham, but the accent is distinctly different.

I visited a pal from Stourbridge, his mum gave us a lift, took me 20 minutes to ask her to repeat her conversation, my mate had to translate, eventually your ears tune in to it.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on January 05, 2013, 06:44:49 PM
What I like about this Forum:

Kind People!-very patient with uninformed people like myself.
Knowledgeable People!-just today I learned that an old telephone magneto phone does not mean it is a pretty shade of purple. (not kidding!)

I can spend hours browsing the forum just learning from everyone.

I also love that everyone here shares a common affinity for telephone collecting, something my Dad loved. :)

Maureen

Gotta watch out for those Magenta purple phones :) They can be cranky!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Cranky is right. If you make a call from the magenta phone, wouldn't it be a crank call? ???  LOL
Practice Kindness :)

EbayJay

I've been tinkerin' around with, and collecting phones for a while now. I have learned more in 2 weeks on this forum than I have in the past coupla years on my own! A wealth of knowledge. 

dsk

My opinions:
This is the best forum for amateurs regarding old telephones and related stuff. 
Pros:
You may ask about everything, and get answers as facts or opinions, and nobody tells you that this is to simple, or stupid to ask about .
You may get several different answers, and disagreements. Sometimes this tells about different experiences, it may tell that it is not a one and only solution, and maybe that the solution you choose may be OK for you, but not for everybody else.
You are (relatively) free for politics, religious pressure, and negative feedback. When such things occur, the moderators removes it quickly.

Cons:
It may be difficult to see what is a fact, and what is an opinion. What is based on experience, and what is based on science.
You may not get the answers on really advanced level, but for that you may use other forums.

What about you, and the other members:
All of you are great, because you bear over with me and others having problems with expressing our needs and answers, you are always positive and, and if you are not, you do not writ it here.  You share your information, about how and what to do, or not to do. (Even when you have to refer to own bad experience)
No names, but I am impressed about how some of you may turn a wrack to a shining "new" telephone. How nicely you draw schematics.

And about me, the text over tells the most, but first of all I am proud and happy to be a member here, and to all new members, just follow  up in the same manner and you get help, and will be able to help others.

"Thank you for listening"
dsk

Dan/Panther

Very well said, and I think a common feeling among us all.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

The folks here have been very helpful.  As far as divining a fact from an opinion, I do a little side research on a point I ask about to have a better idea where the facts lean.  For the most part there is a lot I have learned and been able to see here.  I doubt I could afford such a wealth of information. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

I have belonged to many forums in the past years, and have been a member here since day one, 2008, I do not recall a single incident of a heated disagreement here. Which seems to be the norm for all other sites I belong to.

I want to take my hat of to all of my fellow members..Good job !
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

I agree 100%.  This is a great place.  Over the years, there has been literally no squabbling.  I think the mind-set was established early on in the existence of the forum, and continues to this day.  Good job to Dennis and the moderators who keep this a great place.

There is so much trashy talk and hate speech going on out in the world today, and it is nice to be here.  It is like going to a nice quiet place.  :)

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Dan (and Bill) for your comments.  I think Dan hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the members that make it a nice place.  It is thanks to each member that posts comments and questions, keeping things civil.  Of course there are times when people have a difference of opinion but it's usually done with respect and courtesy.  Also, as I've said before, without the work of the Moderators, who keep things in line, this all would not be possible.  The Auction Contest and  Finds of the Month require a lot of work and the efforts of TelePlay and AE_collector are greatly appreciated.  All of our Moderators deserve a big hand for their efforts in keeping this a fun place to spend time and talk about our hobby.

~Dennis

dsk

I couldn't agree more, one of the reasons may be like I and others e.g. looking at the Things around the election of president you have going on, and even how much we wonder about that process, we keep it elsewhere, because what ever you will answer on my questions, someone else will disagree more strongly, but if I ask about your opinion about a circuit, even with different ways to look at it we will not start a verbal fight. The different arguments comes up, and I have to choose e.g. if DC trough my receiver is tolerable or not, and you do your choice for your telephones. That is also why I posted my tribute to this forum some time ago, and we need to repeat it to know how good this actually is!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1572.msg172349#msg172349

dsk

tallguy58

I think this is, by and large, an older crowd.

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't be bothered getting into arguments anymore.

Takes too much energy. 8) 8)
Cheers........Bill