and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won these

Started by LarryInMichigan, November 20, 2009, 01:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180432243943
( dead link 08-09-21 )

Nothing special, but the price was good.  If it weren't for the shipping charge, it would be a bargain.

Larry

Dennis Markham

That's really not a bad shipping price, under $15 for two phones going from Florida to Michigan.  It looks like you got your moneys worth on those.

Bill Cahill

1.95 Nothing special???? I wish I had known about them. And, right in my own state!
Bill Cahill  What a deal! Congrats......

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Tonyrotary

LarryInMichigan

I have always considered the AE80Es to be about the ugliest phones around, but still had a secret desire to own one.  There's probably some psychological term for that.  At any rate, it looks like my desire will be fulfilled.  Also, brown has always been my least favorite color.  Maybe I can convert it to a lamp ;).

Larry

bellsystemproperty

I don't think that is an AE80, but I know it is from Automatic Electric. I think it is the AE80's younger ugly brother.
This is one

Agreed that AE phone you is still ugly, but it's the insides that count  ;)

bellsystemproperty

Never mind you're right. I thought your AE phone would have a hole new model number like AE 100. It's strange they named the the 80-e.

Dan

The Ae's are cool to me and have a nice ring. The older ones in soft plastic are actually built better than Western electrics to me.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bellsystemproperty

I will say the Ae80s (not AE80-e ;D) look better than the 500. They have an interesting slope design. The 500 is still an awesome phone!  ;D

McHeath

QuoteI have always considered the AE80Es to be about the ugliest phones around, but still had a secret desire to own one.  There's probably some psychological term for that.  At any rate, it looks like my desire will be fulfilled.  Also, brown has always been my least favorite color.

You know that you've gone over the edge when phones that previously looked ugly to you, and in colors that you once considered gross, suddenly are winging their way to your door.  :D

At that point it's just too late.

LarryInMichigan

The phones arrived yesterday.  They came together in one box with only a single thin sheet of foam packing paper around them.  There was nothing to keep the phones from moving within the box, and the brown AE80E probably bumped into the other phone during shipment, and it now has a 1" long crack in the right front corner.  I found two small brown pieces of broken plastic in the box.  I sent a message to the seller to inform her, and she sent me a reply apologizing and asking me what I would like her to do.  I only paid $1.95 for the phones plus $14.20 for shipping.  I don't know what to tell her.  Does anyone have a suggestion?

Larry

Phonesrfun

Larry:

I think it would not be worth the effort if you are only out about $16.00  I had a similar situation happen once, and I took pictures and sent them to the seller.  He halved the price of the total, including the shipping.  It would have cost a lot for me to send a broken itme back to him, so he took the logical route.   If the seller is willing to do that, you at least have some parts that did not cost you too much.

I think it is a good idea to always caution a seller about shipping a phone before it is actually shipped.  Due to their weight, they tend to get broken.

-Bill
-Bill G