News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What glue is good for.bonding felt to felt?

Started by RotoTech99, July 05, 2022, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

Hello, what kind of glue or cement would be OK for bonding felt to felt, please?

My Leich 90 baseplate is felt covered, and I'm considering putting some thick felt over it and gluing it rather than removing the old as a way to rehab it.

It would be mainly for the bottom portion of it.
Does anyone have suggestions?

Tips, hints, etc., welcomed with TIA.

Rototech99

FABphones

I use a spray on carpet adhesive. Don't apply too thickly.

Test on two sample scraps of felt first to make sure you are are happy with the bond and the adhesive.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

The auto parts stores sell spray-on adhesive which is used to hold carpet etc. in cars.  I have used this product: link.  I originally bought it for holding felt on the bottom plates of vintage electric fans.

Larry

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

Would wood glue work for my purposes, I'm a bit limited in what I can use here at the home, particularly if it has a strong smell when used.

Rototech99

LarryInMichigan

I wouldn't use wood glue because it will run through the felt and also be hard.  You could try Aleenes's Tack Glue.  Dollar Tree and Walmart and others sold the standard version of it.  There is also a special version for felt.  I don't know how well it will bond to the metal though.

Larry

RotoTech99

Hi,Larry in Michigan:

What I was thinking of first was just patch the minor wear spots in the felt, there's only a couple and they don't look too bad.

My other thought was just gluing a piece of felt over the original felt, and trim and dress the edges...

I was thinking of gluing felt to felt; but if whatever glue I use bonds both layers of felt to the steel baseplate, that would be OK as well.

I just don't see a need to strip off felt that is in largely good shape.

And I have to admit, this is the first phone baseplate I've seen that doesn't use an internal clamp band to help hold the cover material.

RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF: I found some tacky glue at Walmart at about $2 for a 4 Oz.  bottle, that might be good for my planned use.

RotoTech99

Etienne

If you still want to glue felt to felt, I would simply suggest paper glue like UHU stic. This is what I used to stick felt to the metal base of several PTT 1918, worked perfectly OK. Not a strong glue but very easy to remove if you are not happy with the result, no bad smell, and very cheap. Dries quickly, too. Of course it will not resist to water.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: RotoTech99 on July 05, 2022, 04:13:43 PMWould wood glue work for my purposes, I'm a bit limited in what I can use here at the home, particularly if it has a strong smell when used.

Wood glue or any other PVA glue (e.g., Elmer's Glue-All) would work fine for gluing felt to felt. You wouldn't want to use so much that it soaks all the way through it of course. I used wood glue to re-attach some felt that was partially coming off the bottoms of my wooden chess pieces over 20 years ago and none of them have budged since, and the felt isn't stiff either, because I only used a relatively thin layer of glue.