"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mounting mini ringer on Leich 90 baseplate with heavy duty foam tape

Started by RotoTech99, July 05, 2022, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

On a Leich 90 phone I recently got a baseplate for (not the original ringer mount baseplate, regrettably) I was able to mount a ITT 148 mini ringer to the baseplate with heavy duty foam tape like WE used to mount some components in the 90's...

This tape was thick and white, but it grabs on and sticks solidly to what it's used on.

I know there's always the "stick to the original parts no matter what" folks, but I got the idea from Oldphoneworks as after talking to Matt there... He uses a different mini bell ringer, but mounts his as I did to avoid the need for creating/drilling holes that affect the metal integrity.

The ringer sits in the center of the plate, the plate seemed slightly bowed, but fastened down easily.

I'll try posting pics later, but I thought I'd see if I could get some feedback in the meantime.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

Here is a picture of the mini ringer mounted to my Leich baseplate using heavy duty mounting tape.

Comments and feedback welcome with TIA.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

Here is a picture of the ringer I put in my Leich 90, mounted with heavy duty foam tape.

I chose this method number 1 because the baseplate was the only one that I had, and drilling holes could create issues.

BTW : Matt @ Oldphoneworks gave me the idea after describing how he adds ringers to his Leich 90's.

He uses a different ringer, but mounts it as I did mine.

Feedback welcomed with TIA

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

Just updating my progress on mounting a mini ringer to my Leich 90 baseplate...

The heavy duty tape didn't pan out, so I did the following:

Drilled two small holes that match a ITT 148 or WE Princess ringer's mounts and tapered the holes on the felt side of the baseplate and used a couple lightswitch plate screws that have a taper so they fit nearly flush when secure.

They're slightly domed on the heads and can be ground down slightly; as they are they fit close enough so they don't scratch surfaces.

Inserted the screws in the holes and secured with 6-32 hex nuts,then mounted the ringer and secured with two more 6-32 hex nuts

The first set of nuts were used as spacers and to secure the screws to the baseplate, the other set to fasten the ringer down.

The screws in the picture shows where the ringer is mounted, these will be slightly ground to allow a closer fit then a new layer of felt added.

Feedback welcomed with TIA
RotoTech99

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

Here are a couple more pics of my Leich 90....

The first Pic shows an internal view how I mounted my ringer using screws and nuts,

The second is the bottom view of the baseplate, the 3rd is a front view of my Leich 90.

All feedback, comments and advice welcome.

BTW: I'm still trying different gongs with the ringer to get a good ring sound, but I'm largely done.

Rototech99

RDPipes

Looks good sir. If your having trouble getting a ring out of it instead of a kind of deadening ring sound, you
may want to put some rubber grommets or spacers between the ringer and the base you have it bolted to.
It looks like in the photo that there are no rubber spacers and this may certainly make the bell sound weird.

RotoTech99

Dear RDPipes:

Hi,the ringer itself does have rubber grommets in the mounts.

I'm getting a fairly good ring from the ringer; you gotta expect a little difference especially when using a single gong ringer.

My primary reason was because in a older phone,the mini ringer often comes closest to condenser value, allowing it to work with the phone.

RotoTech99

RDPipes