News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Royal Canadian Mailbox Door, Queen Victoria era

Started by ....., November 19, 2017, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought this Royal Canadian Mailbox Door off a fellow on Facebook Marketplace. I know this is not a phone, but if we were in Great Britain it would belong. As the Post Office over there use to run the phone system. It bears the Crest of Queen Victoria who reigned from 1837 to 1901. There is also a Canadian Beaver on the crest. The last patent date on this door is June 24th 1890. So I date this door between 1890 and 1901. That would make it between 116 and 127 years old. It was made in Rochester, NY. It's 13" X 24" and weighs 20 pounds. I had to give it a good cleaning. Here are some before and after pictures.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: Duffy on November 19, 2017, 05:46:01 PM
As the Post Office over there runs the phone system.

Used to run the phone system as the General Post Office, or GPO, it was broken off in the 80s into British Telecom (around the same time the Bell System was broken up) and The Post Office, and latterly privatised into BT, and then recently split up into BT (deals with the customers) and Openreach (deals with the hardware)... :)

Quote from: twocvbloke on November 19, 2017, 07:53:11 PM
Used to run the phone system as the General Post Office, or GPO, it was broken off in the 80s into British Telecom (around the same time the Bell System was broken up) and The Post Office, and latterly privatised into BT, and then recently split up into BT (deals with the customers) and Openreach (deals with the hardware)... :)

Thanks for clearing that up. twocvbloke , I fixed it. :)

AE_Collector

You know you are in a "quality old building" when you see the mail chute system in the lobby! I was in a building removing the last of the phone equipment in downtown Vancouver in 1978 before it would be imploded to build the new Bentall 4 tower. It had one in the lobby that I now wish I had gone rogue and recovered it as well as the PBX's!

Terry

Finished off the mailbox door. Another before and after shot.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"