News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I Finally Finished My WE 302s!!

Started by Doug Rose, December 01, 2018, 01:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

The elusive Oxidized silver. Came today, Two birds with one stone as it has a 4J dial!! The was one my list as well. Paint on the body is in really good shape. Metal shell with a few marks, but not bad at all.

I put a Black E1 on it until I decide what to so with the Brown F1 handset. Not good enough to display, but I do not want to be rash,

The 4J was a huge surprise.

It was going for $22.50 to me until the last three seconds when it jumped to $127. All in all I am extremely happy with it even with the last bid  :o....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Western-Electric-302G-Custom-Silver-Grey-Rotary-Desk-Telephone/253982898464
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ....  I think you did very well on it.     A 4J dial all by itself, is worth the price of admission, and the rest of the set was basically "free".   

Jeff

Jim Stettler

Looks like the first contender for December's find of the month to me.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

skyrider

It feels great to complete a collection, happy for you Doug.

Bill

RotarDad

Doug - Very nice phone.  I don't think the paint wear is a big deal from a display standpoint.  Admittedly I'm an "originality" guy, but I'd proudly display that set with the worn handset....  :)
Paul

jsowers

Auction link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253982898464

Pictures from Auction below. The handset looked black under the paint to me when I saw this auction a while back, but Doug said it was brown. I enlarged the frontal auction pic and finally saw brown where the paint was missing. Also there is no seam like with the black F1 handsets.

I don't think I've ever seen the original number card mask before that's also silver and black. A very nice phone, Doug! Congratulations on completing 302s. Are 500s next?  ;)

And does anyone else think someone could learn airbrushing and make these out of black 302s? They were very well done, if only the handset paint would have held up better. I think an artist could make some money redoing handsets.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Thanks Folks.... I am more than happy with it.

Jonathan.....I thought it was a early black F1 without the grooves...but it was brown.  A minor disappointment that was quickly quashed when I found the 4J in it. What a shock! One spin of the dial and I could not get the phone opened fast enough.

The base is 1951, so that is my guess of the "upgrade."  This is just a tough find in decent displayable condition. The E1 looks great with the black of the oxidized sliver, but is too early E1. Just not sure what to do about the handset. Paul, thanks for your input on it.

302s are my favorites, it great that I have finally completed them....but still bitter sweet as the chase is over. Sometimes the chase is the fun of it. ....Doug

Kidphone

RotarDad

And you have a clear 302 also, correct, Doug?
Paul

Doug Rose

I do ....I have  A Genuine Imitation by Ray. It is better than an original as there are no scratches or warps and still clear after all these years. It is really a  cool set...an eye catcher....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I got this NOS oxidized silver handset today. Can you believe a NOS find from the 50s!! I had just found the phone after years of looking for one to complete my 302s, but the handset was beyond hope. This had just come on eBay when I saw it. Amazingly matches the phones paint with a perfect Ivory handset cord to boot. A few marks from storage but just an unbelievable stroke of luck!

Just a once in a lifetime find.

Sometimes you do bite the bear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254121353049
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I put the new handset on early this morning, couldn't sleep thinking about it. I am pleasantly surprised that they match so well. Handset cord matches the line cord as well They look like they came together, not an add on many years later.. This was an expensive add but well worth it to me. How often do you see this phone in nice displayable condition. Phone and handset do have a few nicks in the paint, but for a painted phone older than I am, I'll take it!...Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

Amazing Doug, how well that worded out!  Really a beautiful phone....  I too really enjoy finding an elusive part and putting a phone back together.
Paul

paul-f

Really stunning Doug!

How about a family photo?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FABphones

Very handsome.

Could someone please explain how/why this finish came to be?

Is this a forever phone Doug?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ...this phone is a keeper....forever!....Doug
Kidphone