News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can I carry a 2500 set on airplane?

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 08, 2013, 07:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

What airport did you fly out of Ben?  That certainly makes a difference.  Last Christmas I fly from Kawleefournya up to Montana to see my son.  All the flights were as usual until I got to Billings, then from there it was a whole different world. 

For starters the plane had no door to the cockpit.  I sat behind the pilots and watched the whole flight out the front window.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: McHeath on June 12, 2013, 12:04:58 AM
What airport did you fly out of Ben?  That certainly makes a difference.  Last Christmas I fly from Kawleefournya up to Montana to see my son.  All the flights were as usual until I got to Billings, then from there it was a whole different world. 

For starters the plane had no door to the cockpit.  I sat behind the pilots and watched the whole flight out the front window.

Newerk, I'm pretty sure their was a different door to cokcpit.
Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: McHeath on June 12, 2013, 12:04:58 AMFor starters the plane had no door to the cockpit.  I sat behind the pilots and watched the whole flight out the front window.

And it had pontoon type landing gear?  ;D

Phonesrfun

Quote from: TelePlay on June 12, 2013, 06:57:42 AM
And it had pontoon type landing gear?  ;D

Hey, don't laugh.  The company I work for has an office on San Juan Island out in Puget Sound not far from Victoria, BC.  Other than a ferry, the only way in or out is some other kind of boat or by air.  There is a small commuter airline (Kenmore Air) that does have pontoon-equipped airplanes that seat about 10 people.  No cabin door between the pilots and passengers.  It's more like the passengers are in the back seat of a car, and "dad" is driving.  They fly under visual flight rules "VFR" and one day while flying back to Seattle, we actually landed in the middle of Puget sound in order to let a big black rain cloud go by and once it had passed, we resumed the flight. 

I think its great, but I know some people cannot handle that kind of flying and they are white-knuckled the whole trip.  The nice thing is that there is no TSA or baggage searches.  Kind of like getting on a Greyhound bus.  The pilot himself or herself greets you and away you go.
-Bill G

Claven2

Yeah, flying in and out of Victoria is odd.  For starters, almost all flights are on either pontoon boats or Dash8/9 aricraft doing 15 minute jumps from Vancouver.  I've taken a few white knuckle specials from Victoria up to Comox and points north from there, some of the little boutique airlines do not instill the confidence of, say, Air Canada.

McHeath

QuoteAnd it had pontoon type landing gear? 

Ha!  No but it needed skis, we took off in a pretty good blizzard and landed in one as well.  Had to sweep the snow out of my seat when I got on the plane, it only seated 10 or so, no bathroom, no attendant, I didn't even have a window except out the pilots view. 

It was a lesson in how rugged those people in Montana are, everyone flying was a local except me.  We waited hours to take off, late, and no complaints.  They lost all our luggage.  No complaints.  Plane interior was so cold your breath frosted.  No complaints.  Walked across the blinding blowing snowy runway to get to the plane and discovered that it was not there because ground crew forgot about our final flight of the day.  No complaints.  Took off and the durn plane was sliding sideways in the roaring wind and snow.  No complaints and no one got sick. 

In California there would have been a riot of the passengers.  Probably several lawyers called and lawsuits filed.  Screaming for sure.  Lots of yelling.  General panic. :o

But in Montana it was just another December day at the airport.   

"How's yer cattle lookin' Jeb?" 
"Aw purty good." 
"Sure is cold out there." 
"Yep."  8)