News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

loud Receiver pop when pressing hookswitch

Started by ritchie, December 10, 2010, 08:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritchie

Might be a wiring issue but my AE 40 receiver pops loudly (at least it seems to me) when hanging or picking up.

Wiring seems to match the diagram but is there a common cause from "tweaked" phones? Someone mentioned in another thread that a phone receiver can be in series with the line and cause this?

Camera is AWOL at the moment......

Can anyone comment?

Cheers,

Ritchie.

HarrySmith

I had the same issue with a couple of phones but I cannot recall exactly what the issue was. I believe the contacts were not breaking properly on the hookswitch. Hope this helps.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

I think the problem is that in the AE40 and AE 50, the receiver is wired directly to the induction coil and does not go through the hookswitch, as in the case of the WE circuit.  In the WE circuit, the hookswitch has one set of springs that turn the receiver off before the line switch activates on hanging up, and turns the receiver on after the line switch has activated on lifting the receiver off the hook.  This timing keeps the popping out of the WE phones.

I think the pop is induced in the receiver from the induction coil.  If that is the case, then there is no cure.

ae_collector (Terry) may have more information, and Jorge too.

-Bill
-Bill G

Tribune

Not sure if it would work here and may not be a true solution to the popping issue, but wiring two 1N4004 rectifier diodes in parallel (orientated in opposing directions) across the receiver contacts as an acoustic shock suppressor may make the noise far easier on the ear. Certainly worked on an old Soviet set I have.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Adam

Quote from: Tribune on December 10, 2010, 10:58:41 PM
wiring two 1N4004 rectifier diodes in parallel (orientated in opposing directions) across the receiver contacts as an acoustic shock suppressor may make the noise far easier on the ear

Modern phones have a varistor, which is the equivalent of what is described above, installed right across the terminals of the receiver element.  In fact, starting with the AE 80, AE phones had these too, but I checked the wiring diagrams, the AE 40 and 50 didn't have them.

You could try to take a varistor off of a Western Electric receiver element or later AE receiver element and install it in your handset.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

The varistor on the receiver element of a GTE Starlite phone.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 10, 2010, 10:35:12 PM
I think the pop is induced in the receiver from the induction coil.  If that is the case, then there is no cure.

ae_collector (Terry) may have more information, and Jorge too.

-Bill

That is pretty much my thoughts as well Bill. You can usually hear a 40 or 50 go off hook from across the room. Don't use your finger to hang up while keeping the receiver to your ear for the next call!

As Dave mentions, the varistors were added to the newer receiver capsules used on all later AE sets. I've thought of wiring one into the 40 handsets and presume it would do the trick but if it isn't a daily driver, I prefer to keep them as they were originally designed.

Sorry I can't be of any more help with this.

ritchie

No worries, thanks for all the info guys.
I hoped it would be like my NT no1. It was popping badly but I found a wiring error and now it's almost silent.

-Ritchie.

paul-f

The above is good advice.  It may also help a bit to clean, adjust and burnish the hookswitch contacts to assure that the contacts make positively and connect smoothly with as large a surface area as possible.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JorgeAmely

Quote from: masstel on December 10, 2010, 11:06:25 PM
Quote from: Tribune on December 10, 2010, 10:58:41 PM
wiring two 1N4004 rectifier diodes in parallel (orientated in opposing directions) across the receiver contacts as an acoustic shock suppressor may make the noise far easier on the ear

Modern phones have a varistor, which is the equivalent of what is described above, installed right across the terminals of the receiver element.  In fact, starting with the AE 80, AE phones had these too, but I checked the wiring diagrams, the AE 40 and 50 didn't have them.

You could try to take a varistor off of a Western Electric receiver element or later AE receiver element and install it in your handset.

Dave is right. The oldies from AE are loud poppers since there is no varistor across the receiver. This seems to have caused some trouble in an old AE34 I once repaired (not mine); someone put a varistor across the receiver. Everything else worked fine.
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on December 11, 2010, 10:48:58 AM
This seems to have caused some trouble in an old AE34 I once repaired (not mine); someone put a varistor across the receiver. Everything else worked fine.

Jorge: SO you are saying that adding the varistor seemed to cause some receiver problems on the 34? I've never actually tried adding one to see the results.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Terry:

The AE34 I fixed had the varistors already in place. Someone was bothered by the loud noisy from the receiver and with the use of a varistor took care of the problem.

Jorge

Partyline4

Just an update from what I did today with an old 40;

Do NOT put a Western Electric varistor in the receiver pocket without making sure it is very low and seated properly!

I had the misfortune of the varistor getting locked in the receiver as I tried to unscrew the receiver cap.

CRACK!

The varistor broke to pieces!

I put a varistor on the body terminals of an old heemaf 55 and everything worked great!

G-Man

Quote from: Partyline4 on March 10, 2015, 01:45:38 PM
Just an update from what I did today with an old 40;

Do NOT put a Western Electric varistor in the receiver pocket without making sure it is very low and seated properly!

I had the misfortune of the varistor getting locked in the receiver as I tried to unscrew the receiver cap.

CRACK!

The varistor broke to pieces!

I put a varistor on the body terminals of an old heemaf 55 and everything worked great!

There is no need to attempt squeezing-in a varistor into the handset's receiver cup. It's much, much easier to just connect it to terminals "C" and "R" inside of your AE40.

Partyline4