News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My wife is going to kill me, what else is new.

Started by acolabrese, February 10, 2013, 02:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acolabrese

I bought two different models this weekend off of eBay. You see my wife has gone away for the weekend and I found myself incredibly bored. The first purchase is a 1946, WE 302 a guy had listed as a 1938. I thought what the hell, if it's messed up at least I have some spare parts for $25.00. Then I bought a Black WE 500 C/D dated 2/55 for $8.00. She knows about the 302 but not the 500. My wife is a good sport, she just doesn't understand my antique hobby as well as y'all do.

She's like, "Why do you need 3 of these 302 model phones?"

Such a silly question.. We have more than one room in our place..  ;D

Hey, I look at it as a two for one. Let's see how the next week plays out. I'll post some pics when they arrive, and my eulogy.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: acolabrese on February 10, 2013, 02:16:10 PM
I bought two different models this weekend off of eBay. You see my wife has gone away for the weekend and I found myself incredibly bored. The first purchase is a 1946, WE 302 a guy had listed as a 1938. I thought what the hell, if it's messed up at least I have some spare parts for $25.00. Then I bought a Black WE 500 C/D dated 2/55 for $8.00. She knows about the 302 but not the 500. My wife is a good sport, she just doesn't understand my antique hobby as well as y'all do.

She's like, "Why do you need 3 of these 302 model phones?"

Such a silly question.. We have more than one room in our place..  ;D

Hey, I look at it as a two for one. Let's see how the next week plays out. I'll post some pics when they arrive, and my eulogy.

acolabrese,

Congratulations on the smart shopping! It sounds like you made some good deals! Well played!

Would you be so kind as to post the item numbers, so we can, at least, drool along with you, until you are able to take your own pictures? ;)

Try to keep peace with the wife ;), or you might find yourself with quite the phone budget defecit!

</marriage>
<alimony>
:o :o :o

Best regards,

Terrence

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Quote from: acolabrese on February 10, 2013, 02:16:10 PMShe's like, "Why do you need 3 of these 302 model phones?"

Though possibly resulting in sleeping on the sofa, the best response would be "Well, why do you have so many pairs of same-colour shoes?"... :D

Or maybe better to go with "just 'cos"...  ;D

Mr. Bones

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 10, 2013, 03:42:56 PM
Though possibly resulting in sleeping on the sofa, the best response would be "Well, why do you have so many pairs of same-colour shoes?"... :D

Or maybe better to go with "just 'cos"...  ;D

LOL!!!

Even though "Well, why do you have so many pairs of same-colour shoes?" seems, on the face of it, to be a perfectly valid response, I would definitely recommend "just 'cos" as the safer choice!!! ;)

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Jester

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 10, 2013, 03:42:56 PM
Quote from: acolabrese on February 10, 2013, 02:16:10 PMShe's like, "Why do you need 3 of these 302 model phones?"
Or maybe better to go with "just 'cos"...  ;D

Above response would be my pick.  My experience with discussing the number of shoes a woman has to be similar to commenting on her weight-- don't do it!  I did mention to the wife once that I bought that pair of boots in the corner over eight years ago.  Her response-- ::)!

Back to topic-- great score.  Bet the prices will help you out a little.
Stephen

MDK

What is totally funny is the fact that EVERY married guy in this forum can identify with the title of this thread.

Sargeguy

$33 for two phones and your wife is going to kill you?  You are not going to get very far in this hobby at this rate!!! :o

TIP: Start with all black phones and don't put them all in the same place at the same time, it works really well.  I have even done it with candlesticks and Western Electric 2 boxers.

Remember to use her complete indifference to phones to your advantage.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MagicMo

Marriage is a relationship were one person is always right............and the other is the husband. ;D

Practice Kindness :)

Greg G.

The trick is to get so many phones she isn't going to notice one more.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

I always try to get the packages first and then hide the phones in plain sight around other phones.
It also works to have the packages sent to work or a n(un-married) friend's  house.
JMO,
\Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

I use a PO Box.  It started as a safe place to hold packages that were either left by the door or under the mailbox at the street.

It turns out it's a lot easier to get the packages into the workshop unnoticed.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

twocvbloke

I keep taking a gander at PO boxes, because due to my sleep disorder I'm not always awake to answer the door to a postie (over here, they have to deliver to a person or take it back to the sorting office, which can delay receiving things), but, it's rather pricey for a domestic box... :o

Not to mention they're not located at the local PO, but at the local sorting office, which costs more money to get to... :D

acolabrese

So the 500 C/D has arrived. eBay item Number 181074215035

It naturally didn't ring at first. However, after switching the black wire from G to L1, all is well. Here are some pictures I took. The handset was updated in the 70's.

acolabrese

So the 302 has arrived. It arrived broken!  >:(
I emailed the seller, who packaged this thing so poorly that it is no wonder why the case cracked. He was kind enough to refund 50% of the item cost and took some money off of the shipping since I pointed out how badly it was packaged. That being said, I did manage to find some useful part for another 302 I bought with a metal case for $18.00 a year ago. The feet, and F1 handset went right on and look wonderful. The one surprise find inside was a 4H dial. It was completely broken from shipping, but I managed to get it working again, all though be it not 100 like new. Still for a $12.50 phone finding a 4H, and nearly perfect feet was a good find. I will attempt to glue and fix the case at some point but that's another project.

HowardPgh

Question: "Why do you have so many of the same phone"?
Answer: "They are all the same but different".
Howard