News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stolen stuff

Started by rdelius, June 07, 2019, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

Some of my stolen stuff surfaced at the Raleigh flea market and possibly Smithfield .My friend founa a Wooden receiver   and a Kellogg Grabophone of mine along with photographs , railroad lanterns and coca cola stuff. It is possible they might have if not sold already a WE A1 set. A Elston/Farr wooden potbelly shaft candlestick W a Stearhorn hook ,A Japanese OKI-NEC-TOA marked candlestick and a Japanese wooden magneto wall set with a stearhorn  hook and coalgrain transmitter..Remember this stuff is stolen!.The sellors claim that the items were  from a dead relitive

FABphones

Were the sellers caught/traced and questioned?

Similar happened to someone I knew, stuff nicked, turned up for sale on a market stall.
He took photos of them selling it, the police were rang, they went to the stall and nabbed the sellers before they had a chance to pack up. It wasn't all there but what they had, he got back.

Hope all turns out well for you.
Best wishes.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

I doubt anything was done or will be. Antiques do not have serial numbers and that is what the police want

Whitcrane76

Where was your stuff stolen from?
Also, do you have a list of what was stolen? Insurance claim? Surely if you could show the cops that these people have exactly what was stolen from you they could do something. If they are selling it in a different state you could possibly get federal help (FBI) for interstate crime.
I definitely wouldn't give up quietly!

wds

I agree.  If it was my stuff that was stolen I would show up at the booth, and would not be smiling.
Dave

Key2871

Pictures help a lot. But identifying marks make your case.
I used to put marks inside my stuff that could only relate to me. Then took pictures of those marks and put those under lock and key. Without anything like that, your case is thin.
Police want this type of thing to verify that you were the owner, with out a doubt.
KEN

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on June 08, 2019, 12:26:38 PM
I agree.  If it was my stuff that was stolen I would show up at the booth, and would not be smiling.
agreed! I'd get the first punch in. She'd kick my arse  8) but then I 'd be arrested. That makes  the cops or courts do something...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

The police would not accept my descriptions I would mark test results on old tubes in radios. Date  codes inside telephone sets etc. They called it heresy or something like that.Some cameras I supplied serial numbers. One problem was I described model numbers  and brands and this meant nothing to them To them it was an old telephone or radio and they all looked the same to them

andre_janew

All my phones have dial cards with either my grandmother's phone number or one of my old phone numbers.  I know that isn't the same as a serial number and that dial cards can be changed.  Even so, how many thieves would know how to change a dial card?

rdelius

I don't think they want to be bothered or care  about things unless guns or drugs are involved. As I said i could give exact information about the telephones because I had intimate knowledge from restoring or building them and they never verified my information .All they would have had to do is look inside .

RotarDad

Perhaps I missed another thread,  but how did this theft happen?  I am a bit surprised that a thief would take "old junk", instead of focusing on recent tech for higher resale value (laptops, TVs, etc.).

I'm sorry to hear the bad news.  As we know, the old junk is much harder to replace, unfortunately.
Paul

rdelius

I was in the process of moving. No way to lock the door on the old trailer I lived in or the storage building. I had my sister and friends do some packing so boxes were not labeled so it was hard to inventory things.I had to move out without a place to move into so I lived at a radio transmitter site and it was hard to watch the old place. I have no fancy or newer electronics to steal.I mentioned several things so if they surface, you might be buying stolen telephones. These were not common or easy to find sets

Sargeguy

My wooden WE stuff all have serial #s.  I'll have to write them all down, along with 7-digit transmitter #s, just in case.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409