News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 not ringing. Please look!

Started by Karen, July 07, 2012, 07:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

Can you see what Ive wired incorrectly on here?

I have my line wires connected red to 10, green to 8, yellow to 9.

Im getting a dial tone, but no ring still.  I believe I have a straight-line ringer, dont I?

G-Man

Quote from: Karen on July 07, 2012, 07:14:16 PM
Can you see what Ive wired incorrectly on here?

I have my line wires connected red to 10, green to 8, yellow to 9.

Im getting a dial tone, but no ring still.  I believe I have a straight-line ringer, dont I?

D-56548-ASL is a straight-line ringer.

I believe the two-leads coming from it are red and green.

If so, connect them respectively to the same terminals that the red and green line-cord wires are connected to, or, if they are a different color just connect them in the same manner.

As usual, in these cases, the yellow wire line-cord wire is irrelevant!

stub

Karen
          Move the ringer RED from 10 to 9 and if everything else is right it should ring.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

I second what G-Man said.  The yellow line cord wire is irrelevant, and if you sell the phone, you don't know that the use of that wire might cause it to not work when a buyer connects it to their jack.
-Bill G

stub

Karen,
           Disconnect the yellow line in wire .
           Look under your dial for the network number. Yours should be - D-38362-A or a D-38368-A  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Karen

OK, yellow line removed. Red ringer moved to 9. And I dont see a network number under the dial....   Here's what im looking at.

stub

Karen,
          Then take red ringer wire that is on 9 and go to 8 .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

I don't understand why simply bridging the ringer wires across the tip and ring (red and green) of the line cord will not work. It is an industry standard method used on private-lines; something I have done thousands of times while working for the telephone company.

What are the colors of the wires coming from the ringer?

Karen

Stub, you got it!   Ringer red to 8 got it going. 

Everything seems functional now.  Thanks!

stub

G-man ,
           Your right also, but I was going back thru the hookswitch.
Karen,
           If you had an original AE line in cord the yellow would be hooked to the green line in  wire in side the connecting block to complete a path for the ringer . Yellow is not used anymore.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Karen

Yeah I stopped using the black and yellow a few weeks ago when we all discussed that.  However, I tried it tonight since I had seen someone specifically say to do so when I was searching the boards for an answer.  Just forgot to take it back off before I posted. 

stub

Karen,
            The  numbers were gone on the 2 networks  I was looking at also,  ::) Sorry about that!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Either method will work but I was attempting to make it as less complicated as possible by having her simply bridge the two ringer wires across the line.

Wiring the ringer through the hookswitch is a throwback to the party-line days when for transmission and signaling (dialing) purposes was used to remove a small amount of capacitance from the line once the hook-switch was operated. It never really made a real difference unless it was an extremely long line (15-20 miles) that was heavily loaded with ten or more parties. Even then it was grasping at straws as to whether it made much of a difference to the subscriber.

When faced with those conditions I would engineer and specify that line extenders, and if necessary, repeaters were to be installed to cope with situations.          

stub

G-Man,
            Absolutly right Sir. I didn't want to throw 2 more wires in the mix for the capacitor plus the manually adjusted line compensating rheostat .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

The type-45 ringer has an integrated capacitor so that should not be a concern but never the less your method is also correct and works very satisfactory.

Speaking of the manual compensation rheostat, during station visits, we often found them adjusted to the wrong setting since they were exposed subscribers who liked to tinker with them without any knowledge of what the proper settings were for their line.