News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic ELectric Dial problem -springy dingy thingy missing?

Started by markosjal, March 01, 2018, 10:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I bougt a European AE Starlite date 1967

Link here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19930.msg204361#msg204361
This is the Beige and obviously not N American but I know not where it is from.

I checked it out dialed some numbers and later disassembled for a much needed cleaning as it seemed to have dirt (earth) inside of it.

Upon reassmbly of the dial it only snaps back.

Upon investigation I see the pawl(?) does not go to center position to lock into the teeth. What is supposed to make this action happen? Did a spring come off? I have no other AE dials here at the moment but figure someone here knows. I remeber this problem on a Monophone many years ago. The dial seems to follow the same basic design as the old monophone dial
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

AE_Collector

I will need to open up a dial and take a look. There is a little spring I believe that pulls the pawl (if that is the pawl) onto the teeth of the sprocket.

Will try to check soon though tomorrow is a busy day.

Terry

Babybearjs

I'm so glad I don't mess with dials.... I've already had to fix some #9 dials and they are buggers to repair!
John

markosjal

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 02, 2018, 12:37:07 AM
I will need to open up a dial and take a look. There is a little spring I believe that pulls the pawl (if that is the pawl) onto the teeth of the sprocket.

Will try to check soon though tomorrow is a busy day.

Terry

That will keep me crawling around on the floor for a week

markosjal

I made a realization that the "pawl" might be flopped around 180 degrees. Not sure if it should push or pull the center gear. In the position it is in in the image The dial comes to stop or rest on that plastic piece leaving 1-2 mm between the hard metallic stops.

I played with it both ways it can Push or pull.

unfortunately clening the fingerwheel was all I was doing , but the dial seems to have a speed issue.

tomorrow in daylight i will be ion my hands and knees again.

The phone cleaned up beautifully but the cortds are presently taking a bath

All dates seem to show 1967

I have to applaud the bell design in this phone it is probably the best volume control I have ever seen. You can lower the volume all the way to a silent tapping , after having adjusted the gongs so it would make some noise. Pretty sure it is not like N American Starlites.

The good news is a WE 5H dial fits perfectly in the mounting holes if all else fails

AE_Collector

markosjal

I appreciate the reply and the time you took.

From what I can tell this plastic pawl shows no signs of having anything broken on it. I did get the second starlite delivered and well this dial is quite different . As I understand it, te broken dial phone may be italian made Autelco or Auso which i see stamped on on plastic and parts. Googling that name comes up with the "grillo Phone" which I believe is italian.  The Mexican made starlite seems to very much conform to the USA version (at least on the outside and maybe on the inside), whereas the italian version is completely different . One main difference I have never seen an AE Dial with the 9 at the bottom. I have seen this on some Ericssons.

my solution is a small spring as drawn on the image in green. I believe there was a spring there and when I took the fingerwheel off it must have spring away. Just need to find the right spring!

I have made a whole lot of discoveries too about receiver and transmitter elements, and in fact the Italian(?) Trandmitter and receiver elements appear to be (almost) direct replacements for the Telcer Bobo Phone (also Italian) . I want to make a very long post with lots of pictures but it would be difficult here with only 6 photos per post . Much of it relates also to AE phones.

also took some pics of thenternals of italian Starlite if anyone is interested

Mark

rdelius

On some late AE dials, the pawl spring was a plastic tab that breakes.