"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Princess 701B 6 wire line cord

Started by princessphone, May 19, 2014, 12:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Hi there,
I need some help again. Bought a real nice 701B near mint. It came with a 6 wire line cord. Tested the phone with the red, green, yellow and black wires and she works perfectly. I assume that this phone was intended to be hard wired to a wall jack because the end wires are relatively long. I would like to attach a fancy 505A plug but with all these wires (6) it will be a challenge. I'm reluctant to snip off any wires specially when they have such nice spades attached. 
It has a 495A network and the lead weight inside.
I'm trying to find out the function of the white and blue wires and where they should go inside the 505A plug.
Inside the phone, the blue wire appears to go to the same terminal (#4) as the black wire, so I think that I could safely "camp" the blue wire on to the black wire inside the 505A.
That leaves the white wire. It appears to go to a terminal (located under the lead weight) that feeds to the night light switch.
Can someone explain the function of this white wire? Could it be that that these extra wires were needed when some models had extra options like 2 line, call waiting etc.?
On the 702B with the 4010B network the extra 5th wire was often used as a ground wire for the ringer. This was explained very well in the forum. However this 495A is much different.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks, John DeJonge

poplar1

Black and blue connect to BK in plug as you said. (Both blue and black connect to 4 in set).
Red and white connect to R in plug. (White goes to an extra slate switch hook lead).

It may also help to remember:
701B: transformer connects to Yellow and Black leads from phone
702B/2702B: transformer connects to White and Black
702BM/2702BM (modular): transformer connects to Yellow and Black leads
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Actually, the 701B was usually connected directly to an E1-type baseboard ringer*.  According to this manual (Fig. 1), you could use a 4-conductor mounting cord (D4BJ) for portable installations, since the blue and white leads are not needed.

Employez un cordon D4BJ pour les installations
      portatives (les conducteurs BL and W ne sont pas
      nécessaires).

Source: Section 502-710-400CAF, Édition F, juillet 1970 Bell Canada., Fig. 1

*Sometimes, a 701B was connected directly to a Bell Chime (WE F1A ringer or NE QCY1A1 Carillon).

princessphone

Thank you Poplar1 for the expanation, and the extra information. John DeJonge

poplar1

Unlike the Bell Canada manual, the AT&T BSP from about the same period makes no mention of changing to a 4-conductor D4BJ cord. Rather, it says only to "Insulate and Store (BL) and (W) conductors in portable installations." The WE 701B is shown with a D6AB mounting cord.

This is in BSP Section 502-710-400 Issue 6, January 1969.

Does anyone have a 701B Princess that you received with a 4-prong (283B or 505A) plug?

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on May 22, 2014, 12:18:45 AM
Does anyone have a 701B Princess that you received with a 4-prong (283B or 505A) plug?

Yes, I do believe so, one was a factory-red-painted blue 1960 with a 9ft long curly cord and 283B. How "original" who knows?...

Didn't most Princesses ship with a 5-conductor  D5AK, rather than a 6-conductor cord?  What was the extra conductor used for?

Phonesrfun

I have a pink 701B (6-60) that has a 6 conductor original cord: Red, green, yellow, black, blue, white.  No plug, however.

Besides tip, ring, ground, Lamp1 and Lamp2, I don't know why they would have shipped them with 6 conductors unless maybe for A-lead or just to be safe?
-Bill G

poplar1

702B was shipped with D5- (5-conductor)--standard red, green and yellow for dial tone and ringer + black and white for transformer.

701B was shipped with D6--needed blue and white for Tip Party Identifying Ground for 2-party message rate lines, even though the ringer was located on the wall.

Also for 4-party selective lines with cold cathode tube, you needed the white lead.

Bill is correct that you could also rewire the 701B for 1A1 or 1A2 key, in which case one set of line switch (S-BR and Y hookswitch) contacts are repurposed for A/A1. (S-BR) switch to white mtg. cord lead (A). (S-Y) switch to blue mtg. cord lead (A1).

unbeldi

Ah, yes of course. Even have it written down.  I have a D6AB II-60 on a 5-60 pink 701B, and probably others.

Quote from: poplar1 on May 22, 2014, 01:23:43 AM
702B was shipped with D5- (5-conductor)--standard red, green and yellow for dial tone and ringer + black and white for transformer.

701B was shipped with D6--needed blue and white for Tip Party Identifying Ground for 2-party message rate lines, even though the ringer was located on the wall.
Actually not "even though", but exactly "because" the ringer is located on the wall. When the ringer was moved into the phone, they didn't need to bring out the extra signal anymore, and could reduce the cord to 5 conductors.

Phonesrfun

Ah Ha.  I never thought of the fact that with the external ringer, it would be necessary to have the extra wire for message rate ID.  Makes sense.  You wouldn't be able to use the 4-prong plug unless you did without the lamp on a message rate line.
-Bill G

poplar1

Clarification:

701B was shipped with D6--needed blue and white for Tip Party Identifying Ground for 2-party message rate lines,
even though whenever the ringer was located on the wall.

When no ringer was used, an inductor was installed in the set, which served the same purpose as the multiple taps on the E1A, F1A or 687A wall ringer.--Thus, only 4 wires were needed in the mounting cord if the 701B was used without a ringer, such as for a bedroom extension, even for tip party ID.