News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I need help. Phone won't do anything (AE 40).

Started by recrum, November 14, 2011, 10:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

I've check and rechecked all the wiring.  Phone won't do anything.  I'm new to automatic electric phones, only ever worked on kellogg and WE.  So any advice would be greatly appreciated on what I'm missing or where to even begin troubleshooting.

~Richard

JorgeAmely

Richard: Can you check if the capacitor attached to the base is OK?
Jorge

recrum

I know this will be a stupid question, but how can I go about doing that?  Normally I would just parts swap until I got it working.  But this one is my only AE, so I haven't accumulated any spare parts yet.

LarryInMichigan

Have you tried connecting a different handset to verify that the problem is not in the handset or handset cord?

Larry

recrum

The handset could cause the problem?  Cause it's like the phone line doesn't even know it's hooked up.  No dial tone, no ring.  I've take it off hook and can call back into the house from my cell and it goes through normally.

recrum

Ok on the handset advice, I went and opened it up.  It doesn't appear to be wired right.  Shouldn't there be wires coming through from the transmiter cup?

LarryInMichigan

Move the yellow wire to the terminal above it in the picture.  You may need to clean the contacts a bit also, or you may have some static.

Larry

recrum

DavePEI

Quote from: recrum on November 14, 2011, 03:16:50 PM
still no luck.
I hate to suggest this, but have you checked the continuity of the line cord? Using an ohmmeter, check each wire from end to end. Often, you will wind up with open wires, or bad crimps. You could be blaming the phone when the problem is actually in the cords...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

stub

recrum ,
             Your phone appears to be wired correctly. As Dave suggested check your cords- line in and handset. Next you could clean the hookswitch contacts with some paper. Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

recrum

Oh please I'm so close!  Put a new line cord on.  It at least rings.  when I pick it up to dial all I get is kind of a humming or buzzing sound.  It's only while I dial I can hear the dial tone but it doesn't dial.

recrum

Thank you everyone for your help and advise.  Stub's trick with the paper did it.  And my new gasket even arrived today from Gary.  So all that's left is sitting down, novus 2, and brasso in hand and cleaning this baby up.

Thank you all again.  I'm fairly new to collecting and this board is fantastic.

DavePEI

Quote from: recrum on November 15, 2011, 06:53:03 AM
Thank you everyone for your help and advise.  Stub's trick with the paper did it.  And my new gasket even arrived today from Gary.  So all that's left is sitting down, novus 2, and brasso in hand and cleaning this baby up.

I guess that will serve as a reminder for all of us. Don't overlook the simple things when working on phones. Always check the cords before continuing on - it will often save a lot of headaches. I was following the thread as it went on, and noticed no-one had mentioned the line cord, but then the problem was that nothing was working on the phone so I thought I would mention it. Otherwise, something should have shown signs of life.

And, yes, quite often the switch hooks become dirty with age and Stub's trick does help. There are proper contact burnishers made for the job, but most often running a strip of Kraft paper through it will clean off the oxidation that causes the problem.

Good luck, and enjoy your phone!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Quote from: DavePEI on November 15, 2011, 07:12:45 AM
Quote from: recrum on November 15, 2011, 06:53:03 AM

I guess that will serve as a reminder for all of us. Don't overlook the simple things when working on phones. Always check the cords before continuing on - it will often save a lot of headaches. I was following the thread as it went on, and noticed no-one had mentioned the line cord, but then the problem was that nothing was working on the phone so I thought I would mention it. Otherwise, something should have shown signs of life.

And, yes, quite often the switch hooks become dirty with age and Stub's trick does help. There are proper contact burnishers made for the job, but most often running a strip of Kraft paper through it will clean off the oxidation that causes the problem.

Good luck, and enjoy your phone!

Dave
Dave....real good advice. I always open the phone and bring dialtone right to the  inside of the phone. Line cords truly get beat on. A little short is a BIG problem....Doug
Kidphone