News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"hammer" painted 302~ plus I lost a finger stop!

Started by Pourme, January 25, 2018, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

Inspired by Doug Rose's two toned hammer painted 302 find, I took a paint less metal 302 I paid $10 for, and used Rust-olem hammered silver paint on it. The results was not as nice as Doug's of course, but never the less not a bad look.

After painting, I baked it at 300 degrees for a hour. The finish has a nice feel and polishes up nicely. I did use primer although instructions say it isn't necessary. The base that came with the $10 phone was rusty so I used one I had off of a cracked Bakelite 302, the handset was on the shelf, so no active 302 was harmed in this project.

The experiment yielded a nice working display phone and it looks nice on my recently acquired and renovated butler's phone table!

The bad news:  I lost the finger stop. It has to be in my dungeon somewhere, right? I have spent literally hours searching for it. I found many things I gave up on finding long ago but no finger stop. Whats worse, this one is different from others I have. Nothing I have in my somewhat limited spare stash comes close to fitting.

I have included pics of the dial. I think it's a 5H, it's buried in the installation and I didn't remove it to photograph it. If someone has one that would work, I'd be happy to compensate you for it. Thanks in advance. If not perhaps it will eventually "turn up".

In the mean time I have enough parts on the bench to do this again if I can find a interesting paint to try.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

This might help you "consolidate" and find those small, lost parts . . .  ::)

Great for Salvage

One quick way to find it is to buy another one at a high price. The day after the replacement arrives, guess what . . .  "Oh, that's where I put it!"

BTW: Nice finish that hides defects well.

Doug Rose

Benny....nice job.....looks just like mine. Your dial is a #6. I should have one in the basement. Let me know if you don't find yours.

I am constantly loosing parts, screws are the #1 on the hit list. Janet says I have Tourettes when I can't find a part. It isn't pretty....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

John,
I thought about a magnet like that! I have one that is about 2' wide with wheels, for picking up nails on a job site.

Doug, you are very kind. Yours is much better. It actually has two separate colors clearly visible with the hammered finish. I expect it would take a special spraying equipment to achieve that finish.
If you have a finger stop to fit this I would welcome it, I am done searching. No where else to look.

Thanks!
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on January 25, 2018, 12:19:29 PM
If you have a finger stop to fit this I would welcome it, I am done searching. No where else to look.

Can't give up looking because we all know where it really is, the last place you look.

BTW, I have a small container with two hinges, mounting screws and front and back panel mounting screws for a very nice, oak magneto box that I bought empty and with issues. Looks great now, if I can only find the hardware to put it back together, still looking for over two weeks now, off and on. I know where they are, the last place I look.

HarrySmith

Nice! Looks good. The phone table looks fantastic! Love it! Maybe I will refinish mine one day?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

~

John, I do get your point. Difference is, you have misplace an entire set of hardware. This tells me you gathered them up at one time in one place for storage and don't know where you "saved" them, been there & done that. Mine is one very small piece that has just disappeared and is not with the rest of the parts I "saved" from the project. I literally spent 4 hours looking in places it could be hiding in. Literally no where else to look. Although Murphy's law says after I replace it...it will show up just as it went away, right?

Thanks, Harry....I love my little table. Some of the veneer had been broken and lost it's bond. I made repairs I had no experience in doing. Totally worth it! 
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on January 25, 2018, 01:11:00 PM
John, I do get your point. Difference is, you have misplace an entire set of hardware. This tells me you gathered them up at one time in one place for storage and don't know where you "saved" them, been there & done that. Mine is one very small piece that has just disappeared and is not with the rest of the parts I "saved" from the project. I literally spent 4 hours looking in places it could be hiding in. Literally no where else to look. Although Murphy's law says after I replace it...it will show up just as it went away, right?

Yes, just trying to be funny on 3 hours of sleep last night.

When that happens to me, I always fear it fell off of the bench into a trash can and is gone forever. I have found a "small part" in the bottom of a box that was sitting under my bench filled with other stuff and searching every box is just not practice. I know empty my trash cans (small ones) into a 50 gallon barrel on the other side of the room, one handful at a time just to make sure something isn't in the bottom. A problem working in a crowded dungeon.

Heck, I found a brand new computer power supply in my desk trash can probably due to vibration and gravity over a long time or a cat that might be short a few lives.

Pourme

I even went through the vacuum cleaner canister!
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on January 25, 2018, 01:21:52 PM
I even went through the vacuum cleaner canister!

A common event in my dungeon - every time I hear something clink through the hose it's into the canister - it's into the dirt with a magnet.

Pourme

~

I often wondered how often other collectors misplaced one of the many small screws, odd bits and pieces from disassembly to assembly. It's not that I don't take measures to keep things together, zip lock sandwich bags, magnetic parts holders & such. At least I don't feel quite as bad, I blamed it on my 'old age'....

Benny
Benny

Ktownphoneco

Benny .....    I can mail you one if you want.   Let me know.   The finger stop is free and the postage isn't worth collecting.   I'll charge you twice as much next time.  ;D

The vast majority of Western and Northern finger stops are made of solid nickel.      Nickel is non ferrous, so it isn't attracted to magnets.     The magnet will just knock it out of the way and keep going.

PM me if your interested.    I have your address as long as it's the same as it was the last time I sent you a package.

Jeff Lamb

AE_Collector

The words that keep standing out to me in the title of this topic are "Hammer" & "Lost a Finger". Now I see you showing other tools Benny.....Be Careful!

Terry

Pourme

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 25, 2018, 03:50:22 PM
The words that keep standing out to me in the title of this topic are "Hammer" & "Lost a Finger". Now I see you showing other tools Benny.....Be Careful!

Terry

I appreciate your concern, Terry. What you can't see is I am wearing safety glasses!
Benny

RotarDad

Benny - I use this plastic multi-compartment box when I disassemble anything with small parts and screws.  I believe it was an organizer for buttons, etc.  The key is multiple compartments, tight snapping lids, and this one has rounded front sides in each compartment to aid in removing items.

This one came from a fabric store I believe, but an office supply or craft store might have something similar also.....
Paul