News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34A3B??

Started by Doug Rose, June 15, 2015, 03:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I picked this up at a Flea Market Sunday. Works perfectly, but missing piece of grill.  :'(   Is it an AE34A3B. I always thought if it had an AE40 handset it was a mismatch. Shine is amazing...Doug
Kidphone

wds

Nice.  I see it has the older dial also.
Dave

Jack Ryan

Doug,

Are you sure it is a 34A3B? They would normally have a Type 24A36 or later dial.

How well does the handset fit - does it catch on one side in the cradle?

Jack

Doug Rose

Jack ...I am asking as I do not know. Whenever I found a 34 with a 40 handset I thought it was a mismatch. A few months ago I heard on the Forum of an 34A or 34A3B. I am asking as I do not know. As I found it in working condition, handset fits fine, does not catch on the cradle....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Doug,

Sorry, I thought it was a statement.

There was an 34A3B which was identical to the 34A3 except for a slight change to the cradle so that a Type 41 handset fits. If you try a Type 41 handset on a 34A3 you will find that it does not sit properly. It either sits to one side or one side is higher.

The 34A3B was released with or just after the AE 40 so a new AE 34A3B will usually have a Type 24A36 dial or later.

The purpose of the AE 34A3B was to retain compatibility with some operating company's installed base and spare parts catalogue but to improve transmission performance with the new handset.

Jack

DNO

I don't know if this helps, but I believe this is an AE34A3B as well.  The Type 41 handset sits very well on the cradle and doesn't lift at all when pushed from side to side.  I don't know what this dial is...AE sets of any type aren't common in my neck of the woods despite being made in Belleville, just east of Toronto.  This is my only AE set!
David

Jack Ryan

If the handset fits that well I would say you are right.

If those telephones and dials are Phillips my comments about the appropriate dial may not apply. I don't know when Phillips started making the Type 24A36 dial or how they signed/identified it. Can someone tell me?

Thanks

Jack

stub

Doug,
          Here's a 34 A3 - when the 41 handset is placed with transmitter on the left and receiver is push all the way to the left the transmitter will ride up , hope you can see how mine is pushed all the way to the left and the transmitter rides up.  Does yours have the different trx mouthpiece? Here's one without chrome bands # 012
           Your set could have been a manual one and someone put a 24 dial in it later on. 
           That's a SWEET find and I still  :'( don't have one.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

The AE 34A3B is the only telephone I have seen in AE documentation to have the "spitcup" version of the Type 41 handset.

Many of the 34A3Bs have since lost it (or at least the transmitter cap) but they do turn up on eBay from time to time.

Jack

Doug Rose

Stub...my handset does the same thing, now I understand.

Jack...I had been holding on to one of those AE Spitcup handsets forever and I just sold it a couple of weeks ago  >:(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301647917135

Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 16, 2015, 08:26:27 AM
Stub...my handset does the same thing, now I understand.

Oh well, pity they are not easier to spot in eBay.

Jack...I had been holding on to one of those AE Spitcup handsets forever and I just sold it a couple of weeks ago  >:(
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301647917135

I try never to get rid of anything because as sure as I do, I'll need it.

The handset is for the 34A3B not the 34A3 as per the eBay listing - but you know that now.

Jack