News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1967 Blue 500

Started by Waterland, August 01, 2015, 07:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterland

Picked this up a couple months ago at an antique store for $10.  Aqua Blue (is that the correct color name?) Western Electric 500 dated mostly 1967.  Handset has a date of '71, with receiver dated '66 and transmitter dated '61.  Everything else is solid '67 though.  This was another refurb shop paint job that I "defurbished" with rubbing alcohol.  Unfortunately I didn't take a before picture, but a lot of the paint, especially on the handset was flaking away, the rubbing alcohol stripped it all right off.  The handset and dial bezel are discolored to more of a green than the blue, but not too bad, I might try the peroxide method with this phone.

The dial bezel wasn't seating properly; it moved around even when the phone was completely assembled, causing the finger wheel to rub against it.  When I opened it up, I found that one of the little nubs on the back of the bezel that holds it onto the dial had broken off; fortunately I found the missing nub still floating around inside the case and I glued it back on, now it stays tightly in place like it should.  The original fingerwheel was also badly cracked so I replaced with a nicer one.

Mechanically, the phone dials out, but I am hearing a lot of static in the receiver and transmitter, could it be that those elements are going bad, or is that caused by something else?  I haven't checked to see if it rings in yet, but that will be the next test. 

I'm really pleased with how this phone turned out, it's a keeper for sure.

Here are some pictures, the second one is next to the white 500 that I defurbished a few weeks ago:

jsowers

That's a great job of "de-furbishing." You know what to look for--that thin 1970s paint that comes off easily. It's like the opposite of Polane, which won't come off no matter what you use. You need to look for a yellow. They painted some yellow phones this greenish yellow color and taking the paint off makes so much improvement.

The static--try replacing the transmitter element and see what happens. If there's stll static, then replace the receiver element. I've heard some people say rapping the elements a few times on the table top can bring them back, but I haven't tried that before.
Jonathan

paul-f

Nice phones.

In my experience, static is usually caused by failing cords, dirty contacts, loose terminals or spade tip ends coming in intermittant contact with neighboring terminals.

If you suspect the elements, try swapping them between handsets and see if the static remains with the set or moves with the element(s). That will help you focus your troubleshooting/replacement efforts.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

The static for me is usually caused by a cord with old cords, where the jackets for the conductors inside have hardened and are coming apart inside the cord. In your case, the carbon granules in the transmitter element could have stuck together over time. My grandma apparently used to slap the transmitter end of the handset into the palm of her hand several times when it got staticy during a phone call, so that the granules could free themselves, until the transmission cleared up again.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford