"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Antique US rotary phone"

Started by countryman, June 26, 2019, 08:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

This is offered on the german ebay.
It's not a US phone, is it? I'd say it's swedish with the 9...0 dial and it looks Ericsson like. But different from the Ericsson phones I know. And then there is the sticker "no classified matter will be discussed over this phone" which likely has a military background.
What might it be?
I've seen US army phones for sale here but not like this one, let alone with a 9...0 dial!

Edit, could it be norwegian? Norway is a NATO member, Sweden is not. It could have been left behind on a US (or german) military base after material was exchanged.
I'm just not sure if Norway also has the "unique" swedish dial arrangement...

tubaman

That looks like a Dutch Heemaf set - like the one on this thread - http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10994
The dial is odd though as that suggests New Zealand or Norway??
They're pretty common (with a standard dial), though in my experience getting an undamaged one is not so easy as the Bakelite chips very easily around the bottom edges.
:)

countryman

Thanks for the quick help tubaman, it's photographed at the worst possible angle but it sure is the Heemaf type you suggested!
With the dial and the sticker it must have some scandinavia (or NZ???)+ military background. I'll see what the auction brings :-)

FABphones

We see plenty of those in Europe (I considered adding one to my collection but have since gone in another direction).
I've heard this model nicknamed the 'BatPhone'.

From my files but also on the internet:

Heemaf 1955. Designed in 1954 by Dutch graphic artist and industrial designer Gerard Kiljan (1891-1968).

A standard analogue telephone, pulse dialling. Black bakelite, developed in 1955. Manufactured from 1955 well into the 1960's by the Heemaf machine factory in Hengelo (Netherlands) for the Dutch state-owned telecom monopolist PTT.

The white circular dot on top of the set just above the dial is the ground button which was used to put a call on hold on a local PABX, and to pass calls on to another extension. The set was intended for use on the Dutch public switched telephone network.

In 1970, some of the surplus Heemaf Model 1955 phones became available to hobbyists and collectors in the US through Tandy/Radio Shack outlets.

I don't have any further info re the reverse dial on this model, the only 9-0 dials I see are NZ and usually on 332 style phones.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

You're right, thinking it over, it must be from NZ or made for NZ! Sweden and Norway have 0123...9 dials! This one is 987...0! I confused this.

Jack Ryan

That phone wasn't used on the public network in NZ and I don't think it was used on the public network in Oslo.

NZ used Western Electric 302s with Western Electric reverse dials, UK style 300 series phones with Siemens Brothers reverse dials and UK 700 series phones with reverse dials.

Perhaps it was used on a PAX in Oslo. Perhaps a PAX in NZ but I don't think so.

Jack

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

countryman

I just stumbled across this site:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/dials/diallett.html
Most likely explanation would be it is british railway phone.

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on July 05, 2019, 12:48:53 PM
I just stumbled across this site:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/dials/diallett.html
Most likely explanation would be it is british railway phone.

It is not a British phone.
My thoughts are a previous owner has done a dial swap, maybe they took the Heemaf to NZ and used it there.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

markosjal

It does look a lot like the "PTT Holland" phones sold in US Radio Shack stores in the 1970s

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Doug Rose

Quote from: markosjal on July 08, 2019, 09:47:02 AM
It does look a lot like the "PTT Holland" phones sold in US Radio Shack stores in the 1970s

Agreed....this was a PTT Phone repackaged and sold at Radio Shacks....Doug
Kidphone

countryman

But neither Holland nor the US ever used the reverse dial ?!?

QuoteA large batch of telephones with New Zealand dials was delivered to British Rail by Pye-TMC in the 1970s and these phones also turned up on Post Office dials from time to time.
(from: https://www.britishtelephones.com/dials/diallett.html) gave me the idea that reverse dials were used by British Rail???
The sticker "No classified matter will be discussed over this phone" looks official, but is it?

I've bought the phone meanwhile ;-) will post when it arrives.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on July 08, 2019, 03:38:57 PM
But neither Holland nor the US ever used the reverse dial ?!?

I think the simplest explanation is that it is a Dutch Heemaf telephone (it is) with the wrong dial/number plate.

Jack

countryman