News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phoneco, Inc.

Started by Babybearjs, September 15, 2011, 05:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well I thought I'd start this thread... I ordered a 232KTU from mary at phoneco. knowing that the unit was sold AS-IS, I did'nt mind since the relay was missing from the unit... I basically bought it to actually see what the unit looked like. it was pretty trashed... the exposed relay was DOA and the rest was OK. The ST and TO relays are OK and the housing was in good condition. I got my $10.00 worth... Phoneco is a good source, though you really have to know what you are buying. I see alot of mary's stuff on Ebay, they almost need a whole section dedicated to just them-oh ya, they do have a website, don't they! anyway, Buyer-Beware! do your homework before you buy! and check prices!  what do you all think about Phoneco? has anyone offered to buy them out.... ya, the comapny was up for sale at on time... is that still standing?  John
John

stopthemachine

John, you're absolutely right.  You just have to know what you're buying from them, and they'll be a good source for parts--both repro and authentic--for even hard-to-find items.  As with any other items to buy online, you have to shop around and make sure you're getting the best price.  When all else fails and you NEED something soon, you can pretty much guarantee Phoneco will have the item.   

Overall, I think Phoneco is up front when you have questions.  They're definitely not out to "get" anyone.  Obviously, they mark the phones up a bit more than what one might get for them on eBay, but they're a business, and they're there to sell to the average Joe as well as the phone collector. 

I've done business with the Phoneco crew in the past (I bought my very first old phone from them: an AE dial candlestick back in 1998.), and although I have since found others to fix my phones at a more reasonable rate, I do know that I could trust Phoneco to complete the repairs or make any modifications that I specified.  Mary is very nice (and you have to love that Wisconsin accent!  ;D ), and she and the other employees of Phoneco do their best to tell you your options before the repair process begins.  Also, to be fair, their repairs were not TOO expensive (although I haven't had them repair any of my phones in almost ten years).

Dan

Babybearjs

Dan thanks for the input. I had the chance to talk to mary on the phone once.. wonderful lady. I wonder what is going to happen with their business, have TCI or ATCA members ever talked about buying up the inventory and either keeping the company in WI or, dispersing the company and moving the whole works like otis' old company. I would love to see a "phone center store" again in my area, and even a telephone thrift store.... I talked to phil mc carter about this once when he visited mary... from his description, they have trailers of inventory.... what  kind of chatter has been going on about perserving a business like phoneco??    John
John

HarrySmith

I still see an ad in the ATCA newsletter about the business. I once called to inquire about the business and spoke to Ron for an hour and a half. I learned everything about his family but nothing about the business! I have also spoken to others who have been there and was told they have tons and tons of inventory, trailers and barns full. There are even two seperate building sites, one downtown and one where the barns are. My wife did not want to even consider moving there so I did not follow up. It might be interesting to see if a group could be put together to rescue it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

I visited the Knappens about 25 years ago, and yes they're cool folks and yes they have literally barns and warehouses and trainloads full of every kind of telephone stuff you can possibly imagine. 

Yes someone should put together a plan, if they're selling, to buy them out.

Yes it could probably be done on a reasonable basis that's affordable to a group of dedicated people.   

Ideally it would be done by folks like us here to retain the vibe of being dedicated to serving the community at-large, rather than devolving into some kind of commodity speculation thing.

I don't think anyone in our community at-large has the kind of $$ that would be needed to just buy the whole operation for cash, given the value of what they've got there.  My intuition is that if a group from this site got together and met with them, something could be worked out.  For example it might be as simple as offering them a percentage of every month's gross revenues until the entire inventory is sold out, or offering whatever price but spread out on monthly payments like a mortgage. 

The Soph Gent

Well, I am trying to order something from them for the 1st time. A few acetate disks and a couple # cards. Only problem is they are trying to charge me $8 to ship and $4 handling fees. $12 to ship something that can be put into an envelope.

... don't think so...

dpaynter1066

What we should do is incorporate and sell shares or something like that untill enough capital is raised to buy them out. If they both pass on without selling and no ones willing to carry on the business,  it's likely going to be scattered to the winds and all the flea markets and mostly lost to the collecting community..  or not, what do I know?

I've spoken to Ron and Mary quite often and done a fair amount of business over the years and they always deal fairly but you have to be precise in what you ask for.

I ordered a Automatic electric 3 slot coin channel once and got a bare repro coin casting.  One call and Ron gladly exchanged it for an intact original casting with all the relays and wiring intact, which is what I wanted and didnt specify exactly.

If you want an original dingus, ask for that, dont just say I'd like a something or other. And ask for the screws and springs etc too.  Dont assume.  That way, you get exactly what you want. I have sent photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on  the back explaining what each one was.

As for shipping, minimum charges are fairly common in commerce  and they are competitive with and a lot faster to ship goods to me than their counterpart in Canada.  Customs delay I guess.

When I place an order, I go the the canadian place first as their web catalog is much better and then compare with phoneco and order appropriately.  One may have vault doors cheaper where the other may have locks at a better price.

HarrySmith

Circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back?

You are'nt in Stockbridge Mass by any chance, are you?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dpaynter1066

LOL, no,  That movie has good advice to follow i've found though.