and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kittybell

Quote from: HobieSport on February 19, 2009, 12:22:52 AM
Quote from: BDM
Ok, watching the God Father. Toward the end of the movie, when Mike walks in on Carlos. Carlos is dialing a phone. I just noticed it's an obvious W.E. 5302.

About how many minutes into the movie is that?  I'll try to post screen shots.

What phone is Sonny using when he gets the "beat-up" call from his sister? The one where it sends him into the toll-booth trap?
"Read it back to you! Are you insane?"

BDM

Probably a D1/202 mount. The handset he's using is an E1. I don't recall seeing anything earlier than a D1 mount. You never see any B1 mounts in the movie. Would make sense giving the time frame the movie is set in, the fact that it's NY city. Most everything would have been converted to anti-side tone by that point, and most likely upgraded to the 202 & 302 sets used in that movie..
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Kittybell

Thanks, BDM! I don't know why I always have a mental picture of him using a candlestick receiver, because that would be the wrong time period, but that always stuck in my mind. Thanks again!
"Read it back to you! Are you insane?"

HobieSport

Quote from: Kittybell
What phone is Sonny using when he gets the "beat-up" call from his sister? The one where it sends him into the toll-booth trap?

Yes, it doesn't show the phone, just the E1 handset:

Greg G.

How do you capture stills from a DVD?  I have a collection of Film Noir Classics consisting of 4 movies that I just bought.  First one I watched was "Detour" and it was chock full of vintage phones.  Someone was even killed by a phone cord!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

BDM

This just reminded me. The scene where Michael is calling home on a pay phone, to see what happened to his father after the attempted assasination. Watch the rotary dial on the pay phone. It's actually turned back the wrong way. The #10 (or -0-) finger hole is at the 3 o:clock position.

If you folks get a chance, watch "Double Indemnity" from 1944. Quite a few shots of early phones like 302s 202s and such. One great scene is where Fred MacMurray opens up the bell-box at his apartment. It's clearly a 634 subset. He sticks a sliver of paper between the bell and clapper so he can tell if someone called while he was away.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: Brinybay
How do you capture stills from a DVD?  I have a collection of Film Noir Classics consisting of 4 movies that I just bought.  First one I watched was "Detour" and it was chock full of vintage phones.  Someone was even killed by a phone cord!

Brinybay;  I use Gadwin Printscreen to capture stills.  It's super simple once you set it up, and it's free.  I hope to see some of your stills from Film Noir movies.  Ahh...Film Noir and classic telephones...Heaven!

http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

HobieSport

Quote from: BDM
If you folks get a chance, watch "Double Indemnity" from 1944. Quite a few shots of early phones like 302s 202s and such. One great scene is where Fred MacMurray opens up the bell-box at his apartment. It's clearly a 634 subset. He sticks a sliver of paper between the bell and clapper so he can tell if someone called while he was away.

Thanks BDM; I'd seen Double Indemnity before but just watched it again with my mind on phones.  Here's some stills:

HobieSport

I just re-watched "His Girl Friday" again, with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russel, 1940.  There is a veritable smorgasbord of candlestick phones, typewriters, desks and lighting fixtures, vintage clothing, as well as dialog that moves at about a mile a minute.  Fun movie.  It can be watched for free at IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032599/

-Matt

McHeath

Never heard of this movie.  I will put it on my summer to-do list. 

We were watching a Magnum PI the other night, the one with Sharon Stone, and there are some cool phone moments there, including some kind of outdoor housing on a red 500.

Also, we were watching It Takes A Thief the other night, lots of old shows we like, and it was set in Rome and the HQ dude had a Princess on his desk.  Ivory.  The weird thing was it had a long straight handset cord that matched in color.  To the best of my knowledge Princess phones never came with that kind of handset cord.

mienaichizu

Quote from: HobieSport on May 30, 2009, 01:20:53 PM
I just re-watched "His Girl Friday" again, with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russel, 1940.  There is a veritable smorgasbord of candlestick phones, typewriters, desks and lighting fixtures, vintage clothing, as well as dialog that moves at about a mile a minute.  Fun movie.  It can be watched for free at IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032599/

hey matt your back! what happened to you?

HobieSport

Quote from: mienaichizu
hey matt your back! what happened to you?

Hi Ramil, Nothing really "happened" to me except that a week or so ago I was looking at the forum statistics just for fun and I found out that I spent more time on the forum than anyone, and that actually sort of scared me and made me feel stupid, because I really don't know very much about phones, just that I like them.  I was also spending way too much time on Ebay looking at phones, when I already have too many.  I also felt dumb being a "hero member".  So I decided (without thinking too clearly) to try being off the forum for awhile.  So I deleted my account, which was also stupid, but it kind of forced me to try to change my habits.

Anyway, I'm still here, and I'm glad to be a newbie again, and I'm just spending less time on the forum, and I'm not buying anymore phones, at least until I take care of a whole bunch of other things in my life, including trying to learn to fix up the phones I have and sell some on Ebay.  I still check in on the forum a lot but am just trying to spend less time here.

So what happened was "much ado abut nothing".

My new avatar is Cary Grant looking confused in the movie "His Girl Friday". ;D
-Matt

mienaichizu

ok so that explains much

yesterday I was watching this noir film, I don't know the title, but anyway, in one part of the film, a 202 was flashed in the screen. The plot of the movie is that a lady was on a ship going to Buenos Aires and while on the ship, she met a guy that falls in love with her, and thru time, the lady fell in love with the guy.

rp2813

Just rented "Sunset Boulevard" this week.  Long story short, went on tour of some local historic homes and one was inspired by this movie and went to the trouble (and $40K expense) of re-creating the same staircase and railing in the front entry.  So decided to rent the movie and compare & contrast. 

I think every phone in this 1950 release was a 202.  And they all looked brand new.  Probably the same phone being used in different scenes. 

Also saw earlier in this thread a shot of Jack Webb holding an F1.  Didn't realize he was in "Sunset Boulevard" playing the role of "Artie" until the movie was over and saw his name in the credits.  I did not recognize him, as Artie was so upbeat and animated.

Great movie.  Hadn't seen it in decades and had forgotten a lot about it.  I can see why it was nominated for 11 Oscars.  Great dialogue and I couldn't find much in the way of continuity mistakes or holes in the plot.  Really well done, and Gloria Swanson totally kills--literally!

Ralph
Ralph

HobieSport

Thanks for that info, Ralph.  I also haven't watched Sunset Boulevard for decades and certainly not with an interest in phones.  I'll have to re-watch it tonight and post a few stills.

I saw a young Jack Webb recently in "He Walked by Night".  He is surprisingly soft spoken in that pre-Dragnet time, but even in 1948 you can see the beginnings of the Dragnet type "docu-drama".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040427/
-Matt