News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Voice over Internet Protocol (VoiP) phone service and pulse dialing

Started by Konrad, January 07, 2009, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystemproperty

The Grandstream HT502 supports pulse dialing. You you can buy them cheap, unlocked, and use them with any voip provider you want. http://tinyurl.com/32hlhea
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

gpo706

Dag / DSK - just got one of these ATA things and can call C-NET on my linesmans butt, but only if its on DTMF (wont break dial tone on rotary) through my Pana 616.

I have chatted to a bloke through C-NET called Ian Jolly who is allocating/hosting my C-Net service, so no doubt will get him to talk me through it.

That X-Link thingy - I now have the website so can dig about a bit, but couldn't find anything on e-bayuk for it.

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

dsk

Hi long holiday has ended, and I'm back  ;D
My Panasonic 616 was set up to send pulses as default, but changing this to tone, it converts perfect. (Parameter 04 on mine)

Regarding the X-link, it is not very trustable, and you need to locate your mobile quite near to the box.  On the other hand, it may understand pulses, and be used on skype (through USB) too.

dsk

trainman

Why not keep a basic landline (no features-no long distance) for the rotaries? sounds easier? use it for local calls. give the # to your frinds as an alternate #.

djtownsend

I don't have a POTS line because I don't want to pay for it.  Hey, money is money and times are tough.  I have Wide Open West as my carrier and have VOIP coming into my house so in addition to refurbishing phones, I am interested in converting them with a pulse to tone converter.  I have a 500 series wall phone which will be my first guinea pig in which I will install the small pulse to tone to converter that Dennis did a wonderful job in describing the installation of.  I also have the larger pulse to tone converter that I purchased from Old Phone Works for $70.  It works for the most part except for the fact that when I dial out, I have to dial an area code first so I have to dial 1-630-xxx-xxxx.  It is not recognizing the first 1 but recognizes the other digits I dial, even a 1 after the first digit.  I have an email into Old Phone Works about this as I may be doing something wrong in dialing out.

Babybearjs

just to add my input. we have Cableone service, and my rotaries work fine on their system. I'm having no problems with my VOIP modem. the only time I run into problems is when I forget to diconnect the master line when working on the wiring and trip the modem. (all the lights start flashing together) I just have to reset the modem and we are good again. I have 6 phones connected and they all ring well! so, for all those people who have Cableone Phone service, the modem will support rotary dial! (reverse compatiblitiy)   John
John

Marcelo L.

I also wanted to confirm that pulse dialing works just fine with my Vonage VOIP service. I am able to place and receive calls just fine.  The only thing I noticed is that the phone doesn't ring as loud as it should. I'm guessing that the voltage with VOIP is less than with regular land line service?

I wonder if there is something that could be wired up to the ringer to step up the voltage?

paul-f

Quote from: Marcelo L. on November 05, 2011, 11:36:51 PM
I wonder if there is something that could be wired up to the ringer to step up the voltage?

Here's an example of one such device -- the Viking RG-10A Ring Booster
  http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=219

They occasionally turn up on ebay at tolerable prices.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Marcelo L.

Quote from: paul-f on November 06, 2011, 01:48:29 AM
Quote from: Marcelo L. on November 05, 2011, 11:36:51 PM

Here's an example of one such device -- the Viking RG-10A Ring Booster
  http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/view_product.php?pid=219

They occasionally turn up on ebay at tolerable prices.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I know that such a device actually exists. I checked on ebay and wow, $152!!!
Has anyone tried wiring in a capacitor to the ringer? I don't know much about how they work; I am under the impression that a capacitor stores energy and steps up voltage. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-VIKING-RG-10A-RING-BOOSTER-RINGS-15-ADDITIONAL-PHONES-TELECOM-DEVICES-/200656342032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb80ccc10#ht_2153wt_1033

Phonesrfun

If your ringer does not have a capacitor, it should.  A photo of the inside of the box would help.  Providing your ringer has no capacitor, it should be a 1.0 mF capacitor rated at 250 volts, which you should be able to get at Radio Shack, or I can send you one.

By the way, the way it would make the ringer louder is not by stepping up the voltage.  That would be a myth.  The way it would make the ringer louder is to match the impedance of the ringer to the ringing circuit, which I know is a harder thing to understand.

The capacitor also isolates the ringer from the direct current of the phone line.  Depending on the resistance of the ringer, with no capacitor, the ringer would make the phone act like the ringer was keeping the phone off the hook.

I would actually be pretty surprised if there were no capacitor in you ringer box.  Please take a detailed picture inside and lets see what is inside.

Also, have you had the exact phone connected to a POTS line in the past with better results?

Those older ringers do present a larger load when being rung.  If yours does have a capacitor, the only option available might be some tweaking of the ringer itself, such as adjusting the gongs, which are mounted on eccentric holes.

-Bill G

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 06, 2011, 11:42:06 AM
If your ringer does not have a capacitor, it should.  A photo of the inside of the box would help.  Providing your ringer has no capacitor, it should be a 1.0 mF capacitor rated at 250 volts, which you should be able to get at Radio Shack, or I can send you one.

By the way, the way it would make the ringer louder is not by stepping up the voltage.  That would be a myth.  The way it would make the ringer louder is to match the impedance of the ringer to the ringing circuit, which I know is a harder thing to understand.

The capacitor also isolates the ringer from the direct current of the phone line.  Depending on the resistance of the ringer, with no capacitor, the ringer would make the phone act like the ringer was keeping the phone off the hook.

I would actually be pretty surprised if there were no capacitor in you ringer box.  Please take a detailed picture inside and lets see what is inside.

Also, have you had the exact phone connected to a POTS line in the past with better results?

Those older ringers do present a larger load when being rung.  If yours does have a capacitor, the only option available might be some tweaking of the ringer itself, such as adjusting the gongs, which are mounted on eccentric holes.

Here are some pictures of the subset I made for my 202. I used the coil and condenser from a 302. The ringer is original to the Kellogg box.

Phonesrfun

Nice job on wiring the subset.  Your subset already contains a capacitor, its just a matter of whether that 302 capacitir is properly matched to the old ringer

Besides the VoIP service, have you had that ringer/box connected to a POTS line?  In other words, has it ever had the volume you are looking for?

The older ringer probably has a lower resistance /impedance than the ringer from a 302.  You could try a test.  substitute the ringer in the box with one from a 302 just for the purpose of seeing if that ringer gives you ample ringing from your Vonage ATA.

If the ringer in the box  has markings on the outside of the coil jacket, that sometimes will help determining the resistance.  You may need to use a 1mF capacitor instead of the .5mF that is in the 302 capacitor in order to get the ringing volume up with that particular ringer
-Bill G

Marcelo L.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 06, 2011, 09:34:06 PM
Nice job on wiring the subset.  Your subset already contains a capacitor, its just a matter of whether that 302 capacitir is properly matched to the old ringer

Besides the VoIP service, have you had that ringer/box connected to a POTS line?  In other words, has it ever had the volume you are looking for?

The older ringer probably has a lower resistance /impedance than the ringer from a 302.  You could try a test.  substitute the ringer in the box with one from a 302 just for the purpose of seeing if that ringer gives you ample ringing from your Vonage ATA.

If the ringer in the box  has markings on the outside of the coil jacket, that sometimes will help determining the resistance.  You may need to use a 1mF capacitor instead of the .5mF that is in the 302 capacitor in order to get the ringing volume up with that particular ringer

Bill, thanks for the compliment. No I haven't had a chance to connect this setup to a POTS line.

Prior disassembling the 302, I did have it connected to my VOIP service. It also did not ring as loud as it should, but it sounded consistent and smooth. The ringer on my subset is not; it sounds kind of uneven (if that makes sense). I tried adjusting the bells and it helped a little, but still too quiet.

Here's a close up on my ringer. Maybe it's missing something?

The only numbers I was able to make out are 25 and 800.

Phonesrfun

Sorry to say, but I don't think your problem has anything to do with Vonage or your ATA.  It appears that your ringer is broken.

It appears to be missing the pivot needle point and seat that allows the clapper to pivot back and forth smoothly.

The clapper mechanism on yours is just flopping around.   You can see from the pictures below of a similar ringer how the clapper mechanism is pivoted with a pointed screw that allows the clapper mechanism to rock freely and smoothly back and forth, and how the clapper mechanism aligns with the poles of the coils.

-Bill G

Marcelo L.

Bill, I was afraid of that. Do you think it would be easier to source the missing parts or a whole ringer assembly?