News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Polane victim

Started by JorgeAmely, April 17, 2010, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

It isn't currently out, but I think it is packed close by. I Need to dig in some of the boxes, for some other items so it will probably show up.
When I find it I will take photos.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Wallphone

This is a reply to Jorge asking if anyone had information on Polane.
A few years back I went to a Sherwin Williams store and asked them about it.
They made a copy of the Polane spec sheet along with the MSDS.
The price of the paint scared me away. It is a two part paint and a gallon is the least you can buy.
The total cost for the two parts was $126.50.
I didn't want to invest that much money in one color.
I have attached the two pages of the specs.
Email me if it doesn't come out right or if you want the five page MSDS sheets.
Dougpav

JorgeAmely

Work in progress ...

Housing, 283B plug and lift are left.
Jorge

Craig T

Keep it going Jorge, Another amazing turnaround in progress!  8)

JorgeAmely

Only the lift left. They even painted that little part ... >:(
Jorge

Jester

Just beautiful!!  This one was definitely worth the effort.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Jester:
The phone originally had a gray curly cord. Still wondering if I should use the gray cord or keep the one I used in the picture (rose beige, a little faded).  ??? The phone was made in 7-7-55.
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Quote from: JorgeAmely on May 03, 2010, 01:33:15 PM
Jester:
The phone originally had a gray curly cord. Still wondering if I should use the gray cord or keep the one I used in the picture (rose beige, a little faded).  ??? The phone was made in 7-7-55.
It looks great with the beige cord, save the gray for another phone.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Yesterday I finished the 7-7-55 Rose Beige that had been painted with Polane paint. I think what sent it to the shop were a couple of very faint dark lines: one just below the dial and another near the speaker cap. Barely visible unless you go hunting for them.

Before and some after pictures.

One picture shows the logo on the handset (no paint there) and the rear logo (decided not to risk removing the paint AND the logo).

Jorge

McHeath

Utterly amazing!  If you had worked for Bell they would never have had to paint phones at all!

AET

Turned out great!!!  Love the artistic photography as well!!!
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Fantastic, Jorge!  What a beautiful phone.  That had to be one difficult job getting that Polane off of that plastic.  Great photos too.

JorgeAmely

Thank you Tom, Dennis and McHeath for your kind comments.

What I like of this color is the almost perfect match to reddish desert soils of some western states.

The attached picture is an example.
Jorge

Craig T

I came in prepared for the shine this time  :)

Another truly amazing finish Jorge. The mirror finish and the photos are a great touch. I agree, if Jorge had worked for Bell, they would have quit selling phones and kept them all for themselves!

And how could I forget to mention under the hood, it is better than new in there! I am a big fan of a clean interior. Nice original gray gasket ring too. Very nice Jorge.

JorgeAmely

Craig:

Thank you very much for the nice comments. I have created a Picasa album with a few more pictures about this phone. If interested, visit

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/1955RoseBeige#

Click on the first picture and then the right hand arrow.

... and if you find any errors, typos, inaccuracies in my photo descriptions, please let me know to correct them.

I alweis tri tu aboid erors whil tiping, but umans r not prrfec nd som tipos mai go unnotyced.  ;)
Jorge