News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

The 40 and 50 codes phones use the older low Z ringer and the code that follows is different from the code that follows the 41 and 51 codes.

I think comparing 40xx codes with 41xx is meaningless.

Jack

AE_Collector

We haven't seen one color code printed on a base plate that didn't fit the color chart we've created. Of course unlike newer AE 80/90's it ISN'T easy to convert the color of a 40/50!

It seems as though the three different sections of code were likely different stamping operations as the space between each section seems to vary or be as you mentioned Unbeldi, upside down. Also, the amount of ink on the stamp can vary the brightness of the letters from one section to the next and some sets seem to have missed out on being stamped for one or more of the sections.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 09, 2017, 06:46:13 PM
The 40 and 50 codes phones use the older low Z ringer and the code that follows is different from the code that follows the 41 and 51 codes.

Jack

That appears correct when speaking strictly about the four digit number, but cases can be found when the next group of codes has the same format.   See for example the previously shown case of L4044 ASLH, which is a low impedance set, but made after 1952, when most sets were long coded with 41xx.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on January 09, 2017, 06:54:11 PM
That appears correct when speaking strictly about the four digit number, but cases can be found when the next group of codes has the same format.   See for example the previously shown case of L4044 ASLH, which is a low impedance set, but made after 1952, when most sets were long coded with 41xx.

That would make the task of decoding rather difficult. There are other codes as well (non 40/41, 50/51) but I don't have enough of them to get a feel for the code.

Regards
Jack

AE_Collector

Ok
Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 09, 2017, 06:46:13 PM

Jack

Okay, I can check my lists for that. I hadn't noticed many "second section" codes that only had a single digit for the ringer (other than 0 sometimes for SL) until the last day or so. Maybe the 41 & 51 sets changed the way the ringer code is stamped on the base as well as having changed the actual ringer type.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on January 09, 2017, 06:54:11 PM

I think this case actually highlights that the assumption of 41xx and 51xx sets having high impedance ringers is correct.  It is rare, I think, to find use of low impedance ringers in the 1950s anymore, except for use with electron tube ringing bridges on party lines.  The coding format is clearly of the "high-z" age, but they "correctly" marked the set with the "low-z" starting digits 40.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I've been thinking on my converted AE40 that when I added the high impedance D56515A ringer, the 4mf talk & .4mf ring condenser, hook, and the induction coil for a CB set, I changed the "40" code to "41" without realizing it.

Of course, my housing is the later one with the 3,4, & 5 terminals, and dial mounts molded into it.

Now once we get the code for black, and what it would be with chrome bands, lift bar, and fingerwheel, we'd be getting somewhere.

Maybe I'm going on a guess,  but once a set turns up with like components, I'll know what I created

RotoTech99

Here's another code for a black AE40 with chrome trim: N4029A9 AO1.

What say ye to this one?
RptoTech99

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 08, 2017, 09:37:27 PM
Dear AE Collector:

Have you checked AE Catalog 4055F?

That might have some more answers for us.

Back from Reply #175:

I just realized that I DO have catalog 4055E from February 1949. It is this one (picture below) with the colored 40 & 50's on the cover. Even though it is 7 years (and one war) after the February 1942 4055D catalog it really doesn't have anything "new" in it. I see that now all 10 of the colors (including black) that have been available all along are now also available for the AE 50 set instead of just 6 colors for the wall phones.

I also found something showing colors for AE 1A sets an they are the same colors as well except, as I suspected, there was no Jade Green then. I always had it in my mind that Jade Green was a newer color and the ONLY color that kept its "name" in the AE 80/90 lineup.

I mentioned a friend who has quite a few colored AE sets. Below are pictures of his 40's and 50's that I took while visiting him recently (but not recently enough to have thought to take pictures of the base plates). The 40 in the foreground is Orchid (lavender -purple) which almost always turns this very nice light blue color over time. Nile Green behind it.

Terry

RotoTech99

Looks very good, and the photo of your friend's phones look good as well.
RotoTech99

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 09, 2017, 09:13:41 PM
Back from Reply #175:

I just realized that I DO have catalog 4055E from February 1949.

Is this the one that was reprinted by TCI, or do you have in PDF ?

RotoTech99

I know I would like to see the 4055E, I only have the 4055D I printed as .PDF
from the TCI Library myself.

RotoTech99

unbeldi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321909835792
Here is a set that has the following marking on both the base and the schematic label

N 4023  A6

The schematic also indicates the frequency that presumably the code '6' stands for:    20
Schematic number D-53940 Issue 3.

Basically, I think we agree that the idea is correct, that both the digit in the second position of the second group of the old designation format (34A3, 40xx) is a frequency designation, as well as the 2 digits of the second group of later format (41xx).

A single digit for the ringer frequency is in principle possible, if

(A) another indication is used for the ringing system, as each system only has five frequencies

(B) We use the availability of the ringers as listed in the 1930s catalogs.  They only list NINE frequencies in addition to SL:
      16.6, 20, 25, 30, 33.3, 42, 50, 54, 66.6 Hz
      In this case we need to figure out the correct sequence for digits 1-9, as 0 appears to be SL.

(C) The 1940 catalog lists 10 frequencies for 'Loud Ringing Bells' and for the AS-80 C.B. ringer movements.

16.6, 25, 33.3, 50, 66.6  and 20, 30, 42, 54, 66
In this list 20 Hz is item no. 6.

We have no indication that the code MUST be a single digit for the old format.

The catalog specifies to order the standard set, and specify the frequency desired. That means they did not have a catalog code for sets with special ringer type. I suspect that having 10 frequencies does not violate the observed format, it could simply be that the 10th frequency was specified as A10, rather than a single digit, say A9. We just have not found an example, nor do we have examples of all the single digit types.

AE_Collector

Quote from: unbeldi on January 09, 2017, 09:25:13 PM
Is this the one that was reprinted by TCI, or do you have in PDF ?

I think that TCI reproduced the 4055F catalog but I don't have a copy of it of any sort. Would like to know the date of it as well. Someone must have a copy.

My 4055E appears to be an original copy. I guess I better figure out how to use my scanner. Like buffing, that always scares me! What settings, what file format, how to package the scans up....I have no idea!

Terry

RotoTech99

i would suggest using .PDF (portable document format); it  can be opened with Adobe Reader or other
.PDF readers.

That's what I use, my Word program can convert Word documents to .PDF easily.

RotoTech99