News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need WE 211 wiring help

Started by brenthyatt, January 23, 2011, 04:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenthyatt

I recently acquired a WE 211 phone with a 684BA subset. It appears all is original 1949 except for a 6E dial. I haven't been able to get a wiring diagram and am at sea as how to wire it. The diagrams shown on TCI don't show all the hook switch contacts on this phone and the TCI diagrams show a type 5 dial. My phone has the following:

Hook switch consists of two separate switch assemblies. The one toward the back of phone has RR, Y, YY, and a small terminal block with R, B. The switch assembly towards the front of phone has GN, W, Y, BK

6E dial uses Y, B terminals for pulse contacts and has other terminals R, GN, W.

The network has coil 101B with the following terminals, GN, R, M, RR, C. There is no L1 or L2. There is a small terminal block next to the network with terminals R, B.

When I got the phone, wires were cut off with no markers. I'm confused about the hook switch wiring as there is a Y on each switch assembly and I have no idea what RR and YY are for, if used. If someone can post a wiring diagram or photo I would sure appreciate it. I'd post photos, but girl friend has my camera right now. Thanks.

Wallphone

Brent, From what I see you will only use the Gn, W, Y, BK switch contacts. Take a look at the 2nd diagram in the TCI Library, > http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=2142&Itemid=11 < This says it has a #6 dial but it almost looks like it was drawn for a #5. Anyway the diagram says that they are not using dial terminal R. That out works well for using your #6 dial. Converting a #5 dial terminal markings to your dial - W = W, BB = GN, Y = Y, BK = B, & (R = not used). Get your phone wired that way and hopefully someone else can help you wire it to the 684.

bingster

Connection to the subset is a fairly easy matter.  Any four conductor cord will do, although it was typically a piece of station wire.  
= DARRIN =

brenthyatt

Wallphone, thanks for the tip. I'll try disconnecting the R terminal at the dial.
Bingster, I have no L1 or L2 terminal on the network. The only terminals are GN, R, M, RR, C. Should I use M and RR for L1 and L2?

bingster

I'm not familiar enough with the 101B induction coil to say how it's hooked up to the line.   I know we have other members who have experience with this coil who can help, though. 
= DARRIN =

Wallphone

The 101B induction coil is a strange one and the only phone that I found that uses it is the WE-304. There are NO wiring diagrams in the TCI Library for the 304 and the 101B probably wouldn't work for your application anyway. So I think the first thing you should do is swap it out for a 101A coil. After you do that and supply some pictures someone here should be able to help you. Go to page 13 of this link to see the 101B coil in a WE 304. > http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=3303&Itemid=2 <

Dennis Markham

A while back I made myself a "diagram" that I call Wiring Diagrams for Dummies. I made this one for the Model 304.  It has the 101B Induction Coil.  This coil also appears in the Model 354 wall phones.   At least all the ones I've run into.  In addition to the 101B Induction Coil they also have the four conductor ringers.  I'm not sure the designation of the ringer without looking it up.  I'll attach my simple PDF of the 304.  I didn't get the wiring from the technical site of the TCI, I think when I made it I simple recorded the connections of a 304 that I had purchased.  

My disclaimer is that it may not be correct, but it works.  Also the wiring works for the 354.  

Before I attached these filed again here I remembered I uploaded them before.  Here they are if one is interested:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=890.0

Dennis Markham

A mistake in my 304C diagram was pointed out to me.  I have removed that diagram from the referenced post.  I THINK the other two are still good.

Tom B

Dennis
I was going to check my 5304 wiring against your guide ---- and there it was, gone!
Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, I had made a mistake.  I had a wire going to the L2 terminal on the Induction Coil and there is no L2 on the 101B. 

What do you have inside your 5304?

Tom B

I have the101B coil, 6H dial, 4 wire ringer, and GF handset. I f you want me to list what wire is fixed to what terminal I'll let you know. I have the phone where it picks up and connects when it rings, has dial tone but doesn't break it when I dial; I can tap the plungers for each number, and the phone will call the number tapped and connect.  ???
Tom

brenthyatt

Thanks to all for the help. I finally got the phone functioning. It was a matter of a bad receiver element. Is it unusual for these to go bad? I did replace the induction coil with a 101A instead of the 101B that was in the subset. I think the 101B coil was probably OK, so guess I'll hang on to it in case someone needs one. I think the M terminal on the 101B coil is just a center tap, and the lack of an L2 terminal is no problem as a simple splice or a little terminal block would suffice. The RR terminal on the 101B is equivalent to L1 on the 101A.

brenthyatt

I've altered an existing wiring diagram that works if anyone runs into the same setup.